Diagonal roost spacing

Joeschooks

Just clucking around
Feb 7, 2018
Hampshire, UK
My Coop
My Coop
My main coop is one of those small factory made ones and I’m long overdue an upgrade! I will be converting an 8x6 shed and I’m putting my plans together now. I’m going to build a roost almost the same as this one:
7F80B7CB-7734-4DD3-B80B-F72483C82E7C.jpeg

Such a great design!

It’s going to be at 45 degrees and I’m just trying to decide on the roost spacing. I don’t want anyone to get pooped on, but at the same time I want them to be able to huddle in winter and for the roosts not to be too far apart taking up valuable indoor space. The spacing would be easy if the roosts were horizontal but wondering if anyone with a similar style of roost could suggest a “sweet spot” for the diagonal distance between roosts at 45 degrees?

We had that design on a much larger scale for 100 layers when I was growing up. I have no idea what the spacing was but aside from preventing defecation on others, you don't want them to be close enough that they can peck at the vent of those above them. What that dimension is, you'll have to calculate based on the size of your birds. Think LF Cochin or JG vs. bantam seramas.

We had that design on a much larger scale for 100 layers when I was growing up. I have no idea what the spacing was but aside from preventing defecation on others, you don't want them to be close enough that they can peck at the vent of those above them. What that dimension is, you'll have to calculate based on the size of your birds. Think LF Cochin or JG vs. bantam seramas.
Yes that’s a good point :gigI probably should have said all mine are large fowl, mostly hybrids at present and adding 4 more soon from my recent hatch. So the smallest will be leghorn and the largest will be the marans. I’m sure I’ll work it out and not have any problems but wonder if anyone has tried, tested and approved spacing for this setup already :D

I do know people who have had cannibalism if they could reach the higher chickens' vents.
Ohhh that is a nasty way to go :/. Maybe better to have bigger spacing between the roosts then to be on the safe side. I’ve always had roosts at the same height but I imagine the dominant ones tend to go on the higher roost.

I have the same question. This beak to vent access issue has me a bit concerned though. Seems like that is a pretty wide area as far as how far a hen can reach. I think I'm going to end up with about twice as much LF of rust than I'll need, so hopefully that will help. Looking like I'll have maybe 12lf of roost and only five hens.

I’ve tried and tested the spacing myself now... 12” vertical and 12” horizontal seems to work great. The girls always face outwards so no problem with vent pecking :thumbsup Here’s my version:
490A528A-27D8-45B6-81A1-052996856AC2.jpeg

The general recommendation is that they need to be separated horizontally by about 12". On a 45 degree diagonal that gives about 17" along the diagonal. More won't hurt but I would not go any less.

Back
Top Bottom