Diamond Doves Rubs face on Wing Causing it to Bleed

teatea008

Hatching
May 24, 2015
I adopted a couple of Diamond Dove from the Pet Store. I knew when I was given it that it was sick. I just couldn't leave them there anymore and they were so cute. One of them is adjusting fine but the one is still having problems just not as bad as it was before. The vet said it was due to anxiety and it has become a habit for the bird when stressed. He eats, drinks, fly's, forges with the other bird. His poop is normal but about once a week I wake up to blood splatter over the cages and his face is bloody. He rub's it on his wing and the feather have fallen out from his face and on part of his wing. He only rubs one side of his face so he kind of looks like a two face dove. I bath him twice a week to help clean him off and then I give him a bird bath once during the week in his cage. He coos back at me when i'm make sounds and he doesn't seem to be unhappy. Any advice from Diamond Dove lovers would be much appreciated.

I adopted a couple of Diamond Dove from the Pet Store. I knew when I was given it that it was sick. I just couldn't leave them there anymore and they were so cute. One of them is adjusting fine but the one is still having problems just not as bad as it was before. The vet said it was due to anxiety and it has become a habit for the bird when stressed. He eats, drinks, fly's, forges with the other bird. His poop is normal but about once a week I wake up to blood splatter over the cages and his face is bloody. He rub's it on his wing and the feather have fallen out from his face and on part of his wing. He only rubs one side of his face so he kind of looks like a two face dove. I bath him twice a week to help clean him off and then I give him a bird bath once during the week in his cage. He coos back at me when i'm make sounds and he doesn't seem to be unhappy. Any advice from Diamond Dove lovers would be much appreciated.
You vet is probably right. It is common for birds to self-mutilate out of boredom and stress. There is no easy fix; probably no fix at all. You can try giving the doves a bigger cage and more to do. Most of the time a person just has to accept the birds the way they are. Habits are hard to break.:(

Thanks! I read they don't really like toys. I've added some extra perches and I guess I could add some more forging toys to the mix. I have considered getting a bigger cages just waiting for the right one to come along. I read that they do well in rabbit cages as it gives them a wide forging ground but I would think it might not be tall enough.

Thanks! I read they don't really like toys. I've added some extra perches and I guess I could add some more forging toys to the mix. I have considered getting a bigger cages just waiting for the right one to come along. I read that they do well in rabbit cages as it gives them a wide forging ground but I would think it might not be tall enough.  

Ground area is more important than height with diamond doves. If you use a rabbit cage make sure it has a solid bottom rather than screen. Diamond doves spend a lot of time on the ground feeding. They are not able to walk on wide mesh screen.

They don't have a wire bottom cage now and he does seem to spend a lot of time at the bottom. I guess I'll give the rabbit cage a try and see how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom