Diarrhea and Crop Issues

Lavender6

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
Mount Vernon KY
I am so new at being a chicken mama and I am making huge mistakes. I bought pullets from someone and I have had a HORRIBLE time. They have had respiratory disease, Cocci, mites and lice and worms. The place I bought them looked great. I never expected this. I called her and she said she didn't know but she had too. I was so naive.
Now, the problem at hand. After getting all of the above taken care of, one now has sour crop. I had researched before I got chickens so I knew about the Crop. I kept an eye out and found one really large last week. I rubbed her crop upside down and the horrible stuff came out and smelled fowl. I quarantined her and kept food away for 24 hours. Gave her a little oatmeal with monistat 7 in it. Probably 2 cc. Gave her garlic water all day. The crop went down considerably so I thought, PROBLEM SOLVED. Next morning, squishy and about the size of a ping pong ball. Not hard.
A friend said NO OATMEAL, give monistat 3 suppositories 1/3 2x a day in a small amount t of scrambled egg in coconut oil. I did this yesterday and today she has a watery diarrhea that smells horrible. The crop is still mushy but very small because she has only had a small egg in two days.
I am sick with fear and stressed. I feel like I am doing everything wrong. I just build them a new coop a lot bigger, warmer and nicer that they should be moving in tomorrow. Now I am afraid she will die. She has laid her first 2 small eggs last week, then this so now, no eggs.
No way could I afford to go 100 miles to a vet then pay all that money. Please give me advice or prepare me for the worst.
Thanks ahead guys, couldn't have made it this far without you!

Oh and I have her in the pen in a dog crate with the other chickens surrounding her. I didn't want her to be alone.

Lavender6

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
Mount Vernon KY
I am so new at being a chicken mama and I am making huge mistakes. I bought pullets from someone and I have had a HORRIBLE time. They have had respiratory disease, Cocci, mites and lice and worms. The place I bought them looked great. I never expected this. I called her and she said she didn't know but she had too. I was so naive.
Now, the problem at hand. After getting all of the above taken care of, one now has sour crop. I had researched before I got chickens so I knew about the Crop. I kept an eye out and found one really large last week. I rubbed her crop upside down and the horrible stuff came out and smelled fowl. I quarantined her and kept food away for 24 hours. Gave her a little oatmeal with monistat 7 in it. Probably 2 cc. Gave her garlic water all day. The crop went down considerably so I thought, PROBLEM SOLVED. Next morning, squishy and about the size of a ping pong ball. Not hard.
A friend said NO OATMEAL, give monistat 3 suppositories 1/3 2x a day in a small amount t of scrambled egg in coconut oil. I did this yesterday and today she has a watery diarrhea that smells horrible. The crop is still mushy but very small because she has only had a small egg in two days.
I am sick with fear and stressed. I feel like I am doing everything wrong. I just build them a new coop a lot bigger, warmer and nicer that they should be moving in tomorrow. Now I am afraid she will die. She has laid her first 2 small eggs last week, then this so now, no eggs.
No way could I afford to go 100 miles to a vet then pay all that money. Please give me advice or prepare me for the worst.
Thanks ahead guys, couldn't have made it this far without you!

Oh and I have her in the pen in a dog crate with the other chickens surrounding her. I didn't want her to be alone.
Oh, and she is not lethargic, she will eat and drink If I would let her. She doesn't seem sick

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio

Lavender6

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
Mount Vernon KY

Top Bottom