Diarrhea, bloody stool, maggots!!! Help!

mitsymorning

Hatching
Jul 9, 2021
My chicken had diarrhea 2/3 days ago then yesterday there was dark, runny droppings. I thought coccidiosis and gave her corid. Then I sprayed her behind and put her in warm soapy water with epsom salt and a little vinegar. Now, I see what I guess are maggots in the water. Maybe it wasn't coccidiosis? What should I do?

Attachments

• IMG_20210709_113655549.jpg
    IMG_20210709_113655549.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Look for fly strike remedies.
https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/general/flystrike
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/
Other than frequent cleaning, it is usually necessary to sequester the victim indoors or somewhere flies can't get to the bird.
Coccidiosis isn't as common as people think and virtually non-existent in birds approaching or beyond maturity.
That wouldn't cause the bloody diarrhea tho, would it?

No. The bloody diarrhea would attract the flies.
How old is the bird?
I got her into the vet and she couldn't be saved. Vet said it looked like something bit her on the backside and then the flies set in. The intestines fell out when the vet tried to examine her. I feel so sick. Idk what could have bitten her. Thanks for the replies.

So sorry for your loss. Fly strike is common in hot summer weather when there is a poopy butt or an injury that attracts flies that lay eggs. If discovered early enough sometimes the chicken can be saved.

I got her into the vet and she couldn't be saved. Vet said it looked like something bit her on the backside and then the flies set in. The intestines fell out when the vet tried to examine her. I feel so sick. Idk what could have bitten her. Thanks for the replies.
Perhaps another chicken or even a rat. Where are you located?

Perhaps another chicken or even a rat. Where are you located?
I'm in SW Virginia. I wondered if it could have been a rat but I've only seen mice here. It looked like a large section was gone from her poor behind. At first I thought the maggots ate it but Idk. I only have one other chicken and they get along. Looks like and animal would have done more damage. I do have fox here, possums, everything really and I'm secluded but keep two dogs in the yard and the chickens only hang out around the house. They are so happy free ranging I hate to lock them up.

Back
Top Bottom