1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Diarrhea? Help please...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bleenie, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I bought some new Wyandotte girls not long ago and when I bought them I had noticed they had Very watery poo, but they also had NO FOOD in their poop-filled pen & it didn't look icky so I wasn't too worried about it. They ate until they fell asleep after i got them here too. The next day after i got them I lost 2 of my own, home hatched chicks, to Cocci so everyone is currently being treated. Because of this i decided it was probably fine to move the new girls into the main coop for treatment too.

Thier poo cleared up and got 'normal', but then today when I was out in the coop one of the new girls pooed and it was very watery again(see picture). I am wondering if this is from the medicine(Sulmet) or something else?? I saw nothing strange in the droppings, was just very very watery. I plan to worm everyone after their cocci treatment is done, just because they're due and for the new girls but i wanna figure out if this is normal or not anyway.

They eat crumble, have been getting fresh water daily because of the medicating. I haven't been giving any treats or anything extra since they've been on the meds. Their bedding is straw with sand/dirt mix under. I took the pool out of the coop while they were in there so they may have found some nice fat earth worms in that area but that's about it.

[​IMG]

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Anyone?

3. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
  4. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I know I read on here that their poo can become watery in the summer when they drink a lot of extra water. May be the medication or could be extra water intake?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by