Diarrhea Poop

Darktolight

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2024
I have had chickens for 10 years and overall my chickens have always been really healthy. My neighbor 2 weeks ago asked if I could take a chicken that was having diarrhea problems, without hesitation I said yes, thinking I would be able to heal this chicken. Well, she still has horrible smelling diarrhea after a 5 day dose of antibiotics and now she's on Corid. I also have been giving her Kefir yogurt. The neighbor said it has been a diarrhea problem for 2 months and none of her other chickens have it. I have her quarantined from my other chickens but not sure I’m giving her the correct care. What can I do and what should I be doing? Thank you for any help

Attachments

• C5C21892-1706-4773-8601-A984B9E1D8A4.jpeg
    C5C21892-1706-4773-8601-A984B9E1D8A4.jpeg
    658.3 KB · Views: 25
I also forgot to mention that she is eating, drinking and looks very healthy. The only problem I see so far is the black smelly diarrhea.

I also forgot to mention that she is eating, drinking and looks very healthy. The only problem I see so far is the black smelly diarrhea.
Hello Darktolight,
I don't see any replies here, did you discover anything about this chicken?
Don't have any answers, just a similar problem I've had a hen with consistent diarrhea for MONTHS and seems perfectly healthy otherwise, as does the rest of the flock. Treated for all the "usual" and still the runs...

If you got any resolve, please share :)

Thanks!

Hello Sadiesroost,
Wow, I never thought someone would respond to my poop post, thank you. She was on antibiotics, Corid, probiotics and yogurt over a 2 week period and the poop actually turned green instead of being black. I felt like she was improving, but she still has diarrhea. Otherwise she's super healthy and running with the flock. Cleaning her every 3 days and the other hens are healthy with normal poop.

Hello Sadiesroost,
Wow, I never thought someone would respond to my poop post, thank you. She was on antibiotics, Corid, probiotics and yogurt over a 2 week period and the poop actually turned green instead of being black. I felt like she was improving, but she still has diarrhea. Otherwise she's super healthy and running with the flock. Cleaning her every 3 days and the other hens are healthy with normal poop.
Yeah, sometimes you get immediate response and other times... (maybe, never?)

My hen is about 4 years old RIR probably about 6 months since she laid an egg. Even though her comb is red, she's perky, eats, drinks everything normal - just runny poops. Also have treated with antibiotics, wormed, pro-biotics, checked for egg binding. My friend was asking about her issue this morning, so I pulled her out to clean her up. Thought I'd check for any other posts or maybe an explanation while it was top of mind.

At this point seems like nothing to do with them, except what we have already done :hmm;)
Best of luck to you and your flock.

Back
Top Bottom