Diarrhea

Ponte

Songster
Apr 4, 2019
Miami Florida
Noticed about a one inch dried streak of diarrhea on my 28 week old buff Orpington. Looked at her vent and it was very wet with a bubbly white substance without obvious foul odor.
Looked at the roosting bar and found one streak of dried dark diarrhea. I watched her for a while today and she had normal feces.
Her behavior seems normal.
Should I be concerned?

Noticed about a one inch dried streak of diarrhea on my 28 week old buff Orpington. Looked at her vent and it was very wet with a bubbly white substance without obvious foul odor.
Looked at the roosting bar and found one streak of dried dark diarrhea. I watched her for a while today and she had normal feces.
Her behavior seems normal.
Should I be concerned?
Photos?

Is she laying eggs yet?
White bubbly substance may be urates - is she drinking well?
Some pullets/hens have a lot of fluff that catches poop. I would wash her off and see if it continues. She may need to be trimmed a bit or you may need to collect some samples to test for worms.

Went into the aviary this morning and found at least 4 three inch blobs of diarrhea. One of the blobs I found where only the six week old chicks can access.
Thought the diarrhea was from the 28 week old pullets but now am not sure.
This week the young chicks started eating the layers feed, could this be the cause of the diarrhea?
I have done multiple things to prevent it but they still are getting to it.

if the feed is not the cause, should I treat them with any meds ?

Went into the aviary this morning and found at least 4 three inch blobs of diarrhea. One of the blobs I found where only the six week old chicks can access.
Thought the diarrhea was from the 28 week old pullets but now am not sure.
This week the young chicks started eating the layers feed, could this be the cause of the diarrhea?
I have done multiple things to prevent it but they still are getting to it.

if the feed is not the cause, should I treat them with any meds ?
Can you please post some photo?

I would not feed 6 week old chicks layer feed - it has too much calcium. Layer feed usually does not have enough protein for growing chicks either. Keep them on chick starter until they come into lay.
If you integrate chicks with older birds - just use an all flock or flock raiser feed so they can all eat the same feed and you won't have to worry about different types of feed - provide oyster shell free choice.

I tried without success everything possible to keep the layers feed from them so tomorrow I am buying all flock feed.
Good idea.
I use all flock or flock raiser feed year round, this way I don't have to mess with switching feeds or worry about what I need to feed roosters, chicks and laying hens - everyone can eat the same thing:)

Back
Top Bottom