DIary of a novice, shipped egg, broody hatch

I
Oh dear.... Is it common for them to hatch late?... I hope nothing bad has happened! I was really hoping you'd at least get a couple of little chicks!! :/

I've been searching that very thing and it does seem to come up when people have shipped eggs so I'm still optimistic though struggling to stay so.

I know at least one was alive a few days back because it moved when I was looking at them so don't understand why they would all suddenly quit. To say it's doing my head in is an understatement lol

We clicked over into day 23 at around 9pm last night. Still no sign of anything happening when she got off her nest for breakfast.

:(

Last edited:
This would drive me insane with impatience/anxiety!
hmm.png
Hopefully something will happen soon!
fl.gif

OMG I HAVE A PIP!!!!!!!!!!!
yesss.gif

Just went up and thought we are three hours away from clicking to day 24, Ill have a look see if there is any action. Very carefully pulled them out one at a time...

Egg 1 I could see the dark spot on the side so think that was the one we saw around day 17 that we thought had stopped developing.

Egg 2 the air cell seems to have moved down the egg and there is blood red showing around the edges so guess thats a dead one.

Egg 3 same thing but couldnt tell if it was red.

Figured they are all had it so reached under Penny to just pull out the last couple together and something felt funny under my finger, looked and it was decent size pip hole!!! I didnt stop to investigate further just gently put it and the other one Id pulled out straight back and then procedded to do the happy dance LOL

So one pip, two dont knows. OMG so darn excited LOL I really had given up at this late stage.

Too dark in her box to see anything but this looks like a positive sign.

It was sitting next to her on the opposite side to where the pipping egg was last night. Just waiting for the kids to wake up and we will go have another peek and see if we can see anyone.

To save arguments over whose chick is who's the kids picked a colour about a week ago (blue/black/splash) each so we will have to see which one won the chicken lottery!

Last edited:
And the winner of the chicken lottery is my youngest with one adorable splash australorp spotted hiding under mum :)

Will have to wait to see if any further action happens today while I'm at work.

Ooooh hooray!!!
big_smile.png
Hopefully there is more good news to come!! If you only end up with one, you might want to buy a couple of day old chicks to put with it... just so it doesn't have to grow up by itself...

Now lets just hope its a pullet.... Or can you keep roosters?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom