Diatamacious earth dust bath

Dirt only, skip the diatomaceous earth, it's hazardous to breathe.
Not true if you mix it. I add about 1/4 liter diatomaceous earth in a bucket of sand/dirt for their dustbath area . To fill it up.
Common fallacy, it doesn't do a thing with bugs. It's supposed to work on mites, but it doesn't. If you think you have pests, you can get permrethrine poultry dust.
My chickens use such a dust bath area for 7 years now. Never had respiratory problems, never had lice or mite since.

Not true if you mix it. I add about 1/4 liter diatomaceous earth in a bucket of sand/dirt for their dustbath area . To fill it up.

My chickens use such a dust bath area for 7 years now. Never had respiratory problems, never had lice or mite since.
Diatomaceous earth IS dangerous and should never be used you will end up with chickens with respiratory disease and all sorts of bad stuff

This makes me wonder...
I have carpenter ants coming into my house. My coop is also near my house. I was about to put down ant killer (the yellow, fairly chunky stuff that they eat) but could this lead to my chickens getting ill from it? I'm thinking since they also eat the bugs.

Diatomaceous earth IS dangerous and should never be used you will end up with chickens with respiratory disease and all sorts of bad stuff
Do you have any experience using DE?
I don’t believe it’s dangerous if you follow instructions. I use it many years now. But yes, it is dangerous if you dust with pure powder.

In the Netherlands even the chicken farmers use DE sprayed on the walls every time the chicken shed is empty.
This makes me wonder...
I have carpenter ants coming into my house. My coop is also near my house. I was about to put down ant killer (the yellow, fairly chunky stuff that they eat) but could this lead to my chickens getting ill from it? I'm thinking since they also eat the bugs.
I use DE against normal ants on the terrace, near the door on top of the holes that indicate that there is a nest below the tiles/stone.
I don’t use poisons if I can avoid them , because I don’t want to poison the good insects , wild birds or chickens, or other animals.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom