Diatomaceous EArth question

redhawkou812

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Joelton, TN
Hi all,
We are new to chick raising and have been reading the forums for the last couple of weeks. Lots of good info
smile.png

I went to the local co-op last weekend and told them that I needed food grade diatomaceous earth, and they loaded the bag into my car. I asked again when they were loading it if it was food grade and they said yes. I just today looked at it, and everyone has been saying to be sure that it says "food grade" on the bag. This brand is from Eagle-picher minerals, brand name Celatom, and doesn't say food brand on the bag. However, it does say may be fed to animals on the back of the bag. Is this ok to use? Also, the babies look to be about 2-3 weeks old. They have had some intermittent loose stools that appear to contain some blood so I am thinking coccidia. They all appear to be healthy and are eating well - we are keeping their bedding dry and clean and food and water clean - I read somewhere (can't remember now) that they will develop immunity if you can keep the bedding dry and clean and the water clean - is this right or do I need to treat them for coccidia? Will the DE clear the coccidia? Are they too young to use the DE with? I have tons of questions - lol.

It should say food grade or codex on the bag for sure. If it doesn't I'd be leary to use it on any animal!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom