Diatomaceous earth--- Really that harmless?????

If used in small amounts and only use when needed you should be fine. I have been using DE for 4 years and never have had a problem

I buy DE at the pool place. I think I paid 15.00 for 20 lbs. I sprinkle it with the wood shavings. It also dries up the poo and makes it easier to clean.

I buy DE at the pool place. I think I paid 15.00 for 20 lbs. I sprinkle it with the wood shavings. It also dries up the poo and makes it easier to clean.
NOT the kind to use!!! Pool filter DE is much, much finer than the food grade and thus much more of a lung irritant!!

Chewing tobacco is also completely organic and besides powered chewing tobacco aka snuff is a powerful pesticide as well as a proven cariogenic. The jury however is still out on DE's effectiveness as a pesticide but its value as a cariogenic is proven beyond a doubt.

Besides lung cancer Diatomaceous Earth causes silicosis and other lung illnesses. A more accurate name for Diatomaceous Earth is "Silicone Dioxide." But that name hides some of the health risks of Silicone Dioxide by implying that it is just dirt, as harmless as mothers' milk. Nothing is further from the truth.

Here is a research paper from the Center for Disease Control dealing with the cancer risks for workers in the Silicone Dioxide mining industry. It appears that you may use Silicone Dioxide (DE) in a careless manner for up to 10 years before your lung cancer risks rise by 50% or more.
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/awards/hamilton/pdfs/crystal-silica.pdf

This risk is in addition to the risk of falling ill from silicosis that Silicone Dioxide imposes on men and women involved in the open pit mining of Diatomaceous Earth.

I will go out on a limb here and predict that in the future you will see TV ads from law firms urging you (or your love ones) to apply for benefits due because of fatal lung cancer and silicosis induced illness, just like the ads you currently see targeting the families for asbestos induced mesothelioma victims.

Here's another thing to consider....DE is a powerful insecticide; I stopped using it when I wondered what it might do to the honey bees that I depend on to pollinate my gardens, and what it might do to the soil critters when I add DE contaminated chicken compost to my gardens. Just because it's a natural product doesn't mean it's safe...I think we need to exercise a bit of judgment when manipulating nature. Kevin

Back
Top Bottom