Diatomaceous earth--- Really that harmless?????

I'm still new to this forum and haven't quite figured out if I should be starting a new thread or just adding on to an existing old one if it's relevant. I'm trying to figure out how to safely use food grade DE for myself, and my ducks. My questions are:

- If sprinkling on top of deep litter bedding in coop and run will the ducks inhale it and is that a hazard?
- how much do you add to their food for deworming or proactive anti-parasite? I have only 2 ducks

I only have experience taking it orally. Following the instructions, I noticed a little discomfort and perhaps more energy. About 2 weeks later though, I got sick with some flu like bug. I'm never sick, ever. The last time I got a cold was from doing a similar detox regimen which they say can happen because your body is fighting die-off. I'm convinced if you don't do it slowly and eat super well in the beginning to build up to it- you'll get sick

So, I certainly don't want to give my ducks too much too quickly and have them experience any adverse consequences. I would really appreciate feedback, thanks!

I'm still new to this forum and haven't quite figured out if I should be starting a new thread or just adding on to an existing old one if it's relevant. I'm trying to figure out how to safely use food grade DE for myself, and my ducks. My questions are:

- If sprinkling on top of deep litter bedding in coop and run will the ducks inhale it and is that a hazard?
- how much do you add to their food for deworming or proactive anti-parasite? I have only 2 ducks

I only have experience taking it orally. Following the instructions, I noticed a little discomfort and perhaps more energy. About 2 weeks later though, I got sick with some flu like bug. I'm never sick, ever. The last time I got a cold was from doing a similar detox regimen which they say can happen because your body is fighting die-off. I'm convinced if you don't do it slowly and eat super well in the beginning to build up to it- you'll get sick

So, I certainly don't want to give my ducks too much too quickly and have them experience any adverse consequences. I would really appreciate feedback, thanks!
Either adding to an existing thread (after reading the whole thread and not finding an answer)....
.....or starting a new thread will work.

-Possibly, Yes...breathing it is not good at all, and it won't do any good things for your deep litter either.
-Don't waste your money, DE does nothing for internal parasites as it doesn't work when wet.

Considering your 3rd paragraph, my opinions will most likely fall flat for you.

IMO, DE can help deter bugs when put in dry places of the coop where it will not become airborne, like under the straw in nests......and it's great to mix in feed if you get/have bugs in your feed bags/cans as it will help kill any bugs living in the feed while it is in storage.

Either adding to an existing thread (after reading the whole thread and not finding an answer)....
.....or starting a new thread will work.

-Possibly, Yes...breathing it is not good at all, and it won't do any good things for your deep litter either.
-Don't waste your money, DE does nothing for internal parasites as it doesn't work when wet.

Considering your 3rd paragraph, my opinions will most likely fall flat for you.

IMO, DE can help deter bugs when put in dry places of the coop where it will not become airborne, like under the straw in nests......and it's great to mix in feed if you get/have bugs in your feed bags/cans as it will help kill any bugs living in the feed while it is in storage.
Ok, so if using DE under straw will help in nesting boxes, wouldn't that be similar to putting on coop/run bedding under fresh pine shavings?

If I mix it in the food to keep bugs out- my ducks will then be exposed to it in their feed. Which goes back to my second question which is how much is ok for them to ingest and will it be a hazard to them (inhaling dust) since it's dry.

DE's impact on internal parasites is highly debatable. I'm not worried about it harming me when taken internally- so for me the added silica which strengthens/improves hair, skin and nails is a benefit in and of itself.

I do not believe it is any cure-all that said the same folks who claim it can cut you to ribbon internally are the same ones saying it does nothing once wet, you can't have it both ways.

Far as breathing lots of essential things are bad if inhaled, water for instance, the "science" being touted on BOTH sides of this is equally shaky, true undoubtedly lay in the middle somewhere.

My biggest issue with DE is that it's very nonspecific, so any bugs coming in contact with it and ingesting it during their hygienic practices can be harmed by it...like honeybees and other beneficial insects in the garden and soil environment, some of which I want to remain in my coop environment and particularly in my deep litter. Might as well use a chemical insecticide at that point.

Quote: Bugs(mites specifically) are more likely to shelter and breed in the cracks and crevices of my wooden nests...at least that's my theory and practice.

The amount I have had to put in the feed, only when I've found grain mites in some purchased feed, is a negligible amount when ingested (a handful to a 50 lb bag).
I don't think it will hurt them to ingest small amounts, but I also believe it won't prevent or eradicate internal parasites nor do I feel the need to treat feed prophylacticly.

Would there be any benefit or risk putting DE in fermented feed?

Edited: OK, let me put it this way, maybe someone will answer.

I put DE in my FF, will it kill or harm my chicks if I feed it to them?
1f61d.png

Last edited:
Would there be any benefit or risk putting DE in fermented feed?

Edited: OK, let me put it this way, maybe someone will answer.

I put DE in my FF, will it kill or harm my chicks if I feed it to them?
1f61d.png
No benefit whatsoever.
Probably won't hurt them, but why do it if there's no benefit?

Am i wrong that you can worm your girls with 1 tablespoon of DE per bird in their food once a month ?

Back
Top Bottom