dick horstman

Hi again-> Before Dick could have possibly read this, I got a check from him returning the money saying he had had some minor health problems and the high heat wasn't good for shipping so no chicks would be coming. I guess his computer is down, too. So, all's well that ends reasonably well but there was a definite lack of communication. I waited 4 full weeks after the chicks were supposed to arrive to send my first post.
I know how frustrating it can be when they don't e-mail you back for a long time! One thing you have to remember is that many of these breeders have been at this for a looooong time, and are getting up there in years. Some of them know little or nothing about using a computer, and for the slightest little blip that might take us all of 1 minute to fix, they have to wait until a grandson can come and take a look!

Totally understand the email/computer challenges for some rather than others. What was strange is that he was very good on email until the chicks were due. And like I said, I left at least three phone messages. Anyway, it's a good point that some breeders are getting older and need a little more leeway. I'd just look to close the deal within 45 days so PayPal can help if need be.

Totally understand the email/computer challenges for some rather than others. What was strange is that he was very good on email until the chicks were due. And like I said, I left at least three phone messages. Anyway, it's a good point that some breeders are getting older and need a little more leeway. I'd just look to close the deal within 45 days so PayPal can help if need be.

I agree. And I'd have probably assumed the guy had taken my money for nothing, too! That's another thing many of these older people don't realize - they may be true to their word and will make it right, but for every one of them there's two scammers out there trying to make a quick buck!

I also waited 3 weeks from the shipment date before making my post on a previous thread. I have tried calling day and night for a month. His wife answered once and acted like everything was fine and he would return my call. Nothing for two weeks after I spoke and his answering machine is full. I give the benefit of the doubt but when enquiring about the birds I received an email the day after. After payment was made nothing. If a check can be mailed I would assume a phone call wouldn't take near as much time. He frequented this site pretty often also to have a hard time with computers.

I ordered some chicks from Mr Horstman this summer... He actually shipped them before I had made the payment thru paypal.

Contacted him Monday morning before work via email and he shipped them withing a few hours.

I sent the payment that evening.

I've ordered from him many times over the years with no trouble. Lost a few in transit but that's the way it goes.

I'll be ordering again in 2015

Last edited:
Windyflat, that must be the case but I will have to say I would be careful. I just received my refund from paypal. It came down to me opening a claim and the only reason I was refunded was because it was my first claim paypal is not covered when dealing with live animals. Once he received my payment back in May he has made no effort to contact me and I have the phone records and emails to prove I tried to contact him for 3 months straight. Just wanting to let you know to be careful as something may have changed.

If I remember right Mr Horstman is a vendor or something like that at county fairs throughout PA in the summer.. It's possible he was busy??

Stuff happens but I'm glad you received your refund

That may be the case I'm just curious why I have seen people currently making contact with him, there were three other post on another thread the same as mine. Evidently there is people that have had good dealings with him but I have not had any contact what so ever since payment and I was told my birds would be shipped June 4th

Back
Top Bottom