Did a hawk do this to my Ameraucana rooster? *** graphic picture ***

suzpyoung

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Temperance, MI
I believe Big Blue died because he was trying to protect his hens! My husband found him still slightly warm (in a wooded spot behind the coop) and partially eaten in his chest area near/under his wing. This rooster was a good size, and I can't believe a sparrow hawk could do this? That's the only type of hawk I've ever seen around here though. Blue had no other visible wounds, but there were a lot of feathers scattered, including several of his tail feathers. The skin on his neck almost appeared to be bruised but there were no other punctures or lacerations. My other birds are terrified (they all free-range). Can anyone tell by the area eaten what did this? I'm beside myself.

A crow could kill a large rooster?
ep.gif

Scary about crows! There's a lot of them around, so now I wonder. And there are stray cats from time to time that come around. However, there were no other wounds on Blue. It's obvious he was fighting because his neck feathers were still all puffed out like they do when they fight. I sat out there for 4 hours waiting to see if "it" would come back. It happened around 1:00 p.m. - so I don't know about an owl? I appreciate these remarks from you folks, btw.

Hi there,
So sorry about your rooster :( That wound looks awful but I would be surprised if it was a crow that did the damage. We have so many crows around here that live in the spruce and redwood trees next door and have never given our chickens a hard time. They pretty much go about their business and I believe when they have eggs or baby crows they tend to chase the hawks away. I live in California and it could be the crows are smaller or not as aggressive here. For the last three weeks we have been scaring off fox, possums, raccoons, cats from the chicken area.

Again, sorry about BIg Blue.

A crow could kill a large rooster?
ep.gif

Crows attack in a mob (probably why they are called a "murder" of crows). They surround their victim and the ones in front keep their prey occupied while the rest of the murder attacks from the rear. Very similar to the way a wolf pack brings down big game much too large for one wolf to handle.

Also, they will attempt to peck the eyes out so their prey can't see to fight back.

They killed an 8 pound duck on my place, so I don't think they would have any problems with a rooster. I have caught the crows in the act, so I am not falsely accusing them.

Back
Top Bottom