Did a roo sneak by? Sapphire Gem, 4 wks

I will say this chick is 100% a cockerel. If not barred he would be a Production Blue most likely. Depending on the source (not a hatchery), he could be second generation. The sex linking is lost at that point and they're just considered a mix rather than a Sapphire Gem. That being said, assuming your other chicks look like the pullet pictured, it seems to me that they were sexed at a young age so I assume they're from a hatchery and not a backyard bred second generation. The barring in Sapphire Gems is often pretty muted looking. You can post more pics of it to see but it's difficult to discern in young birds in my experience on this forum. It tends to become more evident in the male sex-specific feathering on the saddle area in particular :)

Do you have chick pictures? If it's a Sapphire Gem if he didn't have one every cockerel has a head spot (albeit some are faded and large so they aren't quite as visible but are still there). This is because the variety is a sex link in which males are blue barred and females are blue. Was he from a hatchery?
Yeah, it came from Hoovers Hatchery and they were all labeled as pullets. If the pros missed it, I guess it is what it is. Due to zoning, I can't have a roo so it'll have to go. I'll give it a few more weeks just to see though.
He/she is on the plank (small wings).

Attachments

• 20210513_235339.jpg
    20210513_235339.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 14
Yeah, it came from Hoovers Hatchery and they were all labeled as pullets. If the pros missed it, I guess it is what it is. Due to zoning, I can't have a roo so it'll have to go. I'll give it a few more weeks just to see though.
He/she is on the plank (small wings).
Great pic! Notice the faded white area on its head, that's the spot! Hoover's is notorious for mislabeling chicks :( Some poor people on this forum have picked up many Sapphire Gem "pullets" from TSC (from Hoover's) and end up with all cockerels. I try to spread the head spot information around the best I can just in case it can help another person seeing the thread not end up with an unwanted cockerel :)

Thanks for the pics!
I have one that has barring, but there definitely wasn't a white spot on it as it was completely dark grey so I'm pretty sure that one is a hen.

Cockerel.

Mine did not have a white spot on the head. none of them in the TSC bin had white spots and I ended up with 2 Cockerels, and 2 Pullets. One of my Cockerals does not have any apparent banding.

Back
Top Bottom