Did anyone else set eggs on or near 10/16/09?

I will be setting some of my call duck eggs and some Cayuga eggs tomorrow the 18th once I move some others to a hatcher. I have three hatches going on in the next few days - 7 of my bantam chicken eggs, 12 call duck eggs, and 9 cayuga duck eggs all should hatch by Wednesday or Thursday. The three hatches will be taking place in three different hatchers as all need different humidity levels.
Good luck to everyone!
smile.png

Well I adjusted my temp in my homemade forced air incubator. It is going from 99.4 to 100.6 in each cycle now. Seems like as close as I am going to get to perfect. Humidity has been 46% each time I check.

I did test before laying and I am able to get humidity as high as 79% by just putting a bowl in the bator with paper towels in it.

Looks like a waiting game now
big_smile.png

day 2 ----
the genesis is holding great temp
between 100.1 - 100.8
avg 100.5

Rh- dropped a bit to 47% from 50

How often dose the automatic egg turner turn?

How is everyone else doing?

Kywilber

My little batch is still doing well... I am almost halfway to being able to candle them and see how things are going. Temp and humidity has been steady since I did a lil tweaking.

My home made egg turner works great. It is a craft box with the bottom cut out. I have a little dowel rod attached to it and it goes outside of the incubator. All I have to do is push or pull the dowel and all the eggs are turned at the same time by rolling across the bottom of the cooler.

Quote:
I am a newbie but I have read that some people run it 60% RH all the way through days 1-21. Some only go 30% on days 1-18. I kind of split the difference and went for 45%. I think 50% will be OK.

Last edited:
Set 22 on the 16th. Second hatch for us, homemade incubator, forced air. Steady at 100 since setting. Humidity... well I'm ignoring it unless it drops below 35%, been hovering at 45% even with the bator dry. Will bump that up to 60% at lockdown.

Eggs include:
3 silkies
8 Polish bantam mixes
11 EE/Silkie mixes

I asked a question here on BYC about the oxygen needs of eggs in an incubator. It seems that eggs do indeed need oxygen even before the chicks have pipped.

My incubator has a pretty tight seal but I have been opening it daily to fiddle with this or that. I hope I didn't doom my chicks by making them oxygen starved. I am pretty sure they are OK though. I can't imagine they use that much oxygen when the embryos are so tiny.

I went ahead and opened one of my two vent holes just to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom