Did anyone else set eggs on or near 10/16/09?

How's everyone else doing?

Not so good here tossed a few more after candling today, down to 9 and 2 of those are highly questionable. Bator isn't the problem I don't think other than that one temp drop during the first week. I have had lab thermometers in it all over checking for hot/cool spots and there are none. Temp has held steady at 100 +/- 1 degree at the most. 2 of my 3 silkie eggs are dancing away so crossing fingers on those. The 5 remaining EEs are now too dark to candle so I'm hoping that's good. Lost all but one of the polish and it's highly questionable as well.

The handling during shipping was horrible on this batch, totally out of the seller's hands so I'm not blaming her at all. Hoping to get 7. But I'm thinking next time I get eggs I'm going to see if I can pick them up somewhere in TX or have them shipped from states really close by.

I also set some eggs on 10-16-09. I set 7 shipped buff Silkie eggs but am now down to 4 or 5… still uncertain on one. One of the eggs had a detached air cell and another didn’t develop (maybe not fertilized?). I have 4 good ones, seen the little swimmers moving around and one I am not sure about so it is staying in there for a little longer. I can’t wait for them to hatch! I just hope I don’t have the same problem with these as I did my lone chick that hatched from the last hatch. He/she has leg problems and I will end up culling it today.

Is it too late to join? I had probably half a dozen broken in shipping (including all but 1 duck) but I set 37 black and red giant (whatever that means...thought Jersey Giant, but after reading more there is no red so not sure what I actually got) 1 duck and 30 quail (seller sent as extras) on the 16th.

The quail kept falling out of the turner and cracking so down to 20 quail, culled 10 chickens last night (5 clear, 5 blood ring) so still have 28 chicken and the duck is going strong.

Tomorrow will be day 14, so I am going to remove turner so quail can hatch and hand turn chickens and duck until Wednesday. I hope the duck makes it since it is not actually due to hatch until the 14th, but don't want to risk losing the humidity for all those chickies.

Join the fun
big_smile.png

I'm on Day 14 and have candled:

I have 21 out of 31 that are doing great so far. I'm pretty happy with that since these were shipped eggs.

Started with 85 eggs, (all shipped) I candled a couple of days ago and had to throw out 13. I plan on candling again soon just to make sure they are still swimming around. Good luck everyone with their eggs!

7 more days folks
big_smile.png
And I just remembered I'm doing a fund raising thing on the 7th so if they haven't hatched by that morning I'm going to MISS the whole day of watching
hit.gif
Dern hunters better be forking out the dough to make it worth it.............

Quote:
Do you have a picture of this? Or anyone with a homeade turner? I have a Little Giant 6200. I took the liner of a light bulb box out (the liner with the holes that holds the bulbs in place so they don't bang together) and it holds my quail eggs perfectly. I'd like to figure a way to use it. Any thoughts? I'm thinking that if I just make two holes in my bator then /staple/nail the liner to a little plant stake (like the skinny green ones at Walmart) that it may work. Any thoughts?

Also, would I stick the skinny end down or the big end down?
I'm such a rooky
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom