Did anyone go to Dubach Louisiana for the Chicken Festival Sept 20th?

Never heard of it before. Is it always around the same time each year? I'm in the Baton Rouge area.

I'd seen an article a while back and also this site:
http://www.dubachla.com/Chicken in the Straw.html
-----------------------------------------------------
Scenic Byway 151: Chicken in the Straw
Leave I-20 for Highway 151 at Calhoun on the east or Arcadia on the west,
find Downsville and Dubach en route. Ride through the past into the present.
Highway 151 swings through small towns, churchyards, pine woods, cypress bayous,
pastures sprinkled with cows and horses, and tucked into the landscape -
chicken houses, farm houses, houses of loggers and pipeline workers.

We live here because we love the land and it supports us. You see evidence
of the farmstead chicken yards which supplied Sunday feasts to families in the 1800s,
farmers expanded in the 1900s, and have become today's broiler industry backbones.
Half Louisiana's broiler farms are in our backyards - they green our pastures and economy.
You see woodlands and managed forests, today's version of the pine woods which first
attracted trappers and crosscut loggers. Though our virgin forests were gone by the 1920s,
continuous reforestation feeds the demand for lumber, paper products, and pine straw
mulch. In 2007, Louisiana's biggest agricultural industries are forest products and poultry.

North central Louisianans today are descendants of the men and women who settled here
and whose children now attend local schools. We stayed home and built churches;
family histories remain on keystones and grave markers. We traded with our neighbors,
so you see some old storefronts and porch stoops. The road has changed some, but
the path is the same. We invite you to stop a while for a glass of sweet tea in Calhoun,
play a line of dominoes at the store in Downsville, celebrate with Dubach at the
Louisiana Chicken Festival, jam with Bluegrass regulars in Arcadia or find a
familiar name under the trees of a churchyard along the way.
-----------------------------------------------------------

According to:
-Dubach Restoration and Beautification Organization, Inc.\\

The Dubach Chicken Festival was begun in 1989 by DRABO. The Festival honors growers and their families, the poultry industry, and sponsors of the Festival. In 1995, the Louisiana Legislature proclaimed the festival to be the official Louisiana Chicken Festival.

Profits from the Louisiana Chicken Festival are invested in landscaping, building restoration, creation of a park at James Lake, helping the Lincoln Parish Museum restore the Autrey House (the oldest standing "Dog Trot" house in Lincoln Parish)......................

http://www.dubachla.com/chicken.html
http://www.dubachla.com/autreyhouse.html

So yes, I think so! I love exploring the small towns in our area... (am also fascinated with anything Atchafalaya). There seems like so interesting things to do in the area.... The article made it sound fun! And now I want to tour a Dog Trot house. Love that kind of stuff. A few years ago we made a trip and stayed in a Trapper Cabin overnight... went canoeing... went to a local restaurant and watched a Cajun band and dancing (not a tourist trap)... it was a great time! We got to do what 'I" wanted since it was my birthday weekend
wink.png

On way back home, we drove along the River Road and toured Laura Plantation before it burned down... heard it's back open... we saw lots of Plantations and went through small towns I'd only heard of before, and after seeing them made me appreciate the beauty of them all.

If you're interested the trapper cabin was a bed and breakfast in Gibson Louisiana not far from Avery Island. Here is that site... http://www.wildlifegardens.com/

You
are in BR area?? I'm in Walker and work in BR.... Small world, eh?​

That is real interesting, I will have to put that on my calendar for next year. Yeah, I live here in Denham and work in downtown Baton Rouge, I hate the traffic, but it pays the bills.

Oh man, if you work downtown, you probably deal with to that rush hour/ bumper to bumper traffic daily.

In the early 80's I worked for less then a year downtown and carpooled...... it was bumper to bumper for most of the drive.... sitting in the backseat wasn't so bad... cause I could do other things.

Juban exit shaved off a good 5 minutes coming and going for me. I used to have to always backtrack a little to Walker exit or drive through all the Denham traffic just to get to the entrance ramp.

I read somewhere.... that the Dubach festival had contests like prettiest chicken, etc... lol! I'd have liked to see all that!

Saw in a local paper that someone was selling Silkies.... saved the paper to make a call (cause I'd like one Silkie hen)... but think my SO threw it away... he is NOT a chicken fan. Now that the girls are laying though he has changed his tune and admits that "the hens are ok... just get rid of the roo with all that crowing". I LIKE the crowing... ah well.

What breeds do you keep? Do you raise any? Or know anybody with Buff Orps, Black Austalorps, or Silkies? I'd like 2 more hens actually. If not, in spring, Dodge city will special order for $5 per chick (Ideal) and said I could even order ONE.. wow... but who can order just 'one'????
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I have to be at work for 6:30am so traffic wasn't to bad till the new construction started on I-12, now I never know what it is going to be like. Sometimes it takes 30 minutes to get to work sometimes an hour.

I agree, that would have been really cool to see all those chickens, I may have brought some too.

No, I don't have silkies, I used to know someone who did but he doesn't hav any now. I have Rhode Island Reds, Silver Spangled Hamburgs, Silver Grey Dorkings, Red Dorkings, and Black Stars. I sold more than 50 RIR's to Dodge City this last spring. Butch just couldn't keep them in stock. I hope to one day have a hatchery with several breeds.

yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom