Did I buy the wrong starter feed?

PerlAddict

In the Brooder
May 31, 2017
Hi everybody,

Did a lot of reading here before ordering our baby chicks (thank you so much to the community!). But one thing I missed is if the type of chick starter/grower crumbles I bought were important. We have a farm supply store right across the street from us, and they sold me a bag of Faithway Feed Co. "Pride & Pleasure Chick Starter/Grower" feed when I told them we had babies arriving tomorrow or Friday.

Got home and noticed the bag says "For broilers and fryers up to 6 weeks in age and replacement pullets up to 4 months in age." It's an 18% protein feed that's medicated with Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate. Reading this thread, it sounds like this isn't the stuff I want.

I stopped by the local co-op earlier today, too, but didn't see much in the way of chick starter available there. Lots of feed for older chickens, but only one small bag of non-medicated chick starter. We have a TSC nearby ... guessing I'll need to try there instead?

Just wanted some advice on whether I should try and return this or not. I just took the guy's word for it at the supply store and he knows I ordered hens, but he admitted he's not "the chicken guy" and I just don't have that warm fuzzy about it.

Thanks for any help!
Dave

Last edited:
Maybe take it back and get something else - if nothing else it will put your mind at rest.

I opened the link and it clearly states from chicks to 4 months old so I can only assume that it is suitable. It has 18% protein which is ok (I'm sure other chick feeds may be higher that that).

It's NOT what you want. Typical medicated chick feed contains Corid (amprolium), which is not an antibiotic. Broilers are given this type feed. TSC would be a better source, also if there is an Ace Hardware near you, they usually carry Purina feed.

Thanks, guys. Gonna take this back and see what I can find with Amprolium instead! I know TSC here in town has Manna Pro Medicated Starter, which I had read some positive things about here. Bummer part is the pricing is sure different - $7.49/5 lbs. versus this other stuff at $11.00/50 lbs.!

Edit: Looks like Purina Start & Grow Medicated is $17.99/50 lbs. at TSC. Just had to broaden my search from "chick starter" to find the other feeds. :clap

Last edited:
I'd also return it. I don't use medicated feed at all and certainly would not use anything with an antibiotic in it. Amprolium is not an antibiotic. Amprolium is the most common medicine in medicated feed but as you've seen it's not always the only one available.

That feed is often used commercially when you have thousands of chicks and sanitation is not always great. But there is a new law on the books where that stuff should not be sold without a prescription from a veterinarian. I'm surprised that stuff is still available.

And you've learned to not always trust everyone at the feed store. Some know what they are talking about better than others. But in his defense, it is listed on the bag as suitable. I can't fault him too much.

I had exactly the same experience with my first batch of chicks. I actually asked for NON-MEDICATED and they sold me feed with Amprolium plus BMD. I took it back unopened. I now double check the label before I leave.

And BMD is for necrotic enteritis, it won't help with cocci if that was your purpose for choosing a medicated feed.

I discovered that my closest TSC has feed from a local farm for just a few bucks more than the Purina. Still have 20 lbs of the Purina, so haven't bought or tried the local stuff yet. Btw, any crumble will work as long as it's 18% - 22% protein & low in calcium. You can feed it to layers as well, just give them (free choice) crushed oyster shells once they start laying.

I had exactly the same experience with my first batch of chicks. I actually asked for NON-MEDICATED and they sold me feed with Amprolium plus BMD. I took it back unopened. I now double check the label before I leave.

And BMD is for necrotic enteritis, it won't help with cocci if that was your purpose for choosing a medicated feed.

I saw that when researching BMD after I got home and thought, gee, that doesn't sound right at all! Thanks for all the input, everyone!

And debid, I'm in Middle TN myself! Howdy, neighbor! :frow

Hi everybody,

Did a lot of reading here before ordering our baby chicks (thank you so much to the community!). But one thing I missed is if the type of chick starter/grower crumbles I bought were important. We have a farm supply store right across the street from us, and they sold me a bag of Faithway Feed Co. "Pride & Pleasure Chick Starter/Grower" feed when I told them we had babies arriving tomorrow or Friday.

Got home and noticed the bag says "For broilers and fryers up to 6 weeks in age and replacement pullets up to 4 months in age." It's an 18% protein feed that's medicated with Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate. Reading this thread, it sounds like this isn't the stuff I want.

I stopped by the local co-op earlier today, too, but didn't see much in the way of chick starter available there. Lots of feed for older chickens, but only one small bag of non-medicated chick starter. We have a TSC nearby ... guessing I'll need to try there instead?

Just wanted some advice on whether I should try and return this or not. I just took the guy's word for it at the supply store and he knows I ordered hens, but he admitted he's not "the chicken guy" and I just don't have that warm fuzzy about it.

Thanks for any help!
Dave

Dave,

I'm kind of new at chickens, however I recently had a 15 week old chicken die from Wry neck. She did not develop it until she was about 6 to 8 weeks old. I was told she got that and it was probably passed on from her parents who were low on Vit E. Well my chicken died today from Wry neck. Previously i would not feed the medicated food, now however i am a firm believer in it. It would have prevented my baby Blue from getting Wry neck. I now also add Save A Chick to their water as it contains Vit E. I also feed them yogurt, it has loads of protein. I learned allot from other people who have chickens and from the Barn where I got my chicks. Now I have 14 healthy chickens, and i will continue to always be sure I give baby chicks water with Vit E "Save A Chick " in it and medicated chick starter food, the crumble is easiest for them to eat, and they love it. Good luck to you, I hope this helps. My baby Blue, RIP
IMG_5069.jpg

Back
Top Bottom