Did I do something wrong?

lucky123

Songster
10 Years
Sep 12, 2009
Cullman,Al
My due date was the 18th at 3:00am. Today I came home at 6:pm the 16th to find some already pipping. One hatched around 11:00pm" looks healthy" and now there is six pipping. I have kept the temp at 99 to 100,and humidity at 46 to 47,except for candling one time and filling up the water trays,opening a total of around 6 or 7 times and jumping the humidity to 72 at 2:00am the 15th. Is it normal for them to start hatching a day or so early? Was my temp off? I used four to come up with three that showed the same reading.I also used one type that shows the temp and humidity. Of course I will know for sure in a couple of days,but any thoughts would be appreciated.My first time as you can tell.Thanks.

Usually you hear "Did I do something wrong?" because the eggs never hatch, or the chick pips then dies. So my unschooled answer to your question is "Who cares! You've got chicks!"

Just giving you a hard time. I've never incubated, so I don't know.

But congratulations on a successful hatch!

Another hatched and many more pipping.Should I take out one or both of the red plugs? How long should I keep the hatched chicks in before moving them to the brooder. I have heard when they have completely dried, to as long as 24hr's?I just don't think I could keep them in there for that long. I bought these on e-bay from two different sellers and one was very late on delivery along with four broken so I had to leave the others on the counter until I recieved them, so I really didn't have my hopes up.Also they are barred rocks.One sellers eggs was very dark brown and the others light brown as I thought they should be. One of each has hatched and I have seen some yellow/buff on the chicks wings that came from the darker egg.Any idea's on this anyone?Thanks.

Yes! Take out the red plugs--those hatching chicks need the air. Usually, at least one is out at the beginning of the hatch, and two by the time chicks are out. Just watch your humidity when you do it.

And congrats! That first hatch is SO exciting. Heck, every hatch is exciting!!!

Thanks for the advise. Seven hatched,30 to go. How long do most keep them in the incubator after hatching? I have the brooder ready at 95%.

uh oh, I thought we were supposed to leave the plugs out the entire time? Should I put mine back in? I am on day 13.

Congrats on your hatch, if you did something wrong, I want to do it too. LOL

Back
Top Bottom