Did I do the right thing??

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
So tonight is day 22 in the incubator and two have hatched. One has been struggling all day and just could not get out. He seemed to be weakening, but was far enough zipped that I knew I could hatch him without him bleeding to death. So I helped him, he's out and laying on the incubator floor, but now I'm wondering....Is there a reason he wasn't supposed to hatch?? His tummy feels kinda squashy, but not like, mushy, but now I'm worried--Does he have mushy chick disease? How common is it, and if he has it, can he spread it to the two healthy chicks who already hatched??

Mushy chicks are caused by too high humidity during incubation, which if I recall right you were experiencing. Only time will tell if the chick survives. He can't spread it....it's a condition, not a disease.

UPDATE: Poor chickie has deformed feet. Instead of the five, well defined toes a faverolle should have, the outer two toes are fused together. So he is constantly getting stuck in the incubator floor and tries so hard to just hobble around.
His rear end also looks kinda red-like scabbed over or bloody. He's not bleeding, I'm jsut wondering if that is a sign of mushy chick.
PS- If he does have mushy chick, how long before I know if he's gonna die or not??

Back
Top Bottom