1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

did i ever tell you....

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by abluechipstock, Oct 18, 2011.

1. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    that hawks make me angry, i was out flying my birds today and i saw all the birds in the air and ruckus on the roof of my house, there was a hawk going after a roller, i yelled just in time and the hawk flew off, this happened while i was in the yard and right above my dog yard with 10 dogs in it!! i now know where my two young blue check homers went [​IMG]

2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    That Darn Hawk! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have never Lost a hen to Hawks, But i feel Your pain Nevertheless! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  3. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Just don't get carried away.

There are lots of stories out there about pigeon fanciers getting sideways with the law when it comes to protected birds of prey.

Fly smart.

4. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    If they are a HUGE problem you can get a federal licence to shoot most hawks but, its only for one bird and a long aplication process from what I understand.

5. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    ya, it sucks when that happens. [​IMG] i mean, they have to eat to, but its still really sad, especialy when they get a faveorite. is even sadder when they get it, drop it and dont even eat it. once a red tailed hawk came and got one of my OEGB hens and started to fly away with her, but the lead rooster flew up and gave it what fore and made it drop her. saddly she was pretty banged up and the fall broke her neck and the hawk killed the brave lil roo and didnt eat either of them. beutiful birds, but sometimes i really hate them. [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Spring and Fall are probably the worst times to fly pigeons, that's when most hawks are migrating to their summer/winter homes.

7. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    I just saw one earlier,the weather has been disagreeable for me and I believe the hawk left.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by