did i fry them

waw

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 12, 2011
Mississippi
my incubator got up to about 102 to 103 today for any where from 1-5 hours on the 7th and 8th
also last nite my incubator got real low then without me touch the tempature control the tempature has been slowely increasein for the past few days what is up with it this hatch is the most valuble hatch i will hopefuly ever perfrom

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess you have the Little Giant styrofoam incubator. Chances are you didn't fry your eggs. The proteins of life start to breakdown at about 104 degrees F. And don't take all the blame when it could be partially due to equipment issues.

When hatching eggs this spring. My incubator rose above 102, for around fifteen miniutes, but luckily most of them still hatched. If i were you I'd invest in a new incubator. I bought mine from tractor supply, still air incubator by "little Giant," works great hatched two flocks with it so far. Oh, and depending on how far along you are on the hatching process you may be able to hold one up to your ear and stay still for a little while and try to hear a small thup, this worked for me but don't try this until at least one hatches.

Hope I Helped
tongue.png
xoxox birdlover99

Hello, I have a forced air incubator that stays around 99.5 - 100.5 and i am currently on day 12 but one day it got cool at night and my wife shut the a/c off and didnt turn it on the next day and the temp went up outside to 76 and the house got a little warm and my temp on my incubator went up to 103.2 for about 6 hours until I got home to correct it and I candled them and they were all still moving around 2 days after that. The drop in temp shouldnt be nothing much to worry about as long as you are getting it back up and it didnt stay below 99 for to long. I think you should be OK. Remember that the temp in your house has alot to do with the temp in the incubator.

I'm currently on my first hatch in the homemade incubator. My husband was "helping" me while I was at work one day and raised the thermostat in my incubator since it was "only" at 99 degrees. It raised up to 108 for about a half an hour on that day. I just did the last candling before lockdown on Sunday and I still have 6 to 7 eggs alives and well. Not the dozen that I started with, but at least some. Plus, my husband now knows to never, ever, touch this woman's incubator again. Unless he wants to go through hell again. Muhaha.

The thing that i've noticed..and I have a Little Giant styrafoam incubator..is that with my temperature gun, I get a lower reading directly from the eggs than the air temp in the incubator reads on my digital thermometer. So your eggs should be fine..they're always a bit cooler than the air temp. If my digital thermometer is reading 102..my eggs usually read around 99.5-100..just to give you an idea. If you want to get an accurate reading of the actual eggs..get a water wiggler, OR put a probe thermometer inside a plastic egg with water, that should give you a better reading. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom