Did I get a bum flock?

gardenKate

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2017
I am new to chickens and took over a flock of 8 hens from a friend at the beginning of October. In my month and a half with the chickens, I have had to deal with one chicken with coccidiosis, one with roundworm, one with an eye that wouldn't open, crazy bullying to the point where two hens had to be separated for their safety, and now two hens with lice and mites. Of the 8 hens, only 4 are laying and they are all of laying age. They have about 120 feet of enclosed run with sand/dirt dust bath areas and I let them free range 1-2 hours each day. They also have ample indoor coop space with 6 hens in a 6x4 coop and 2 hens in a 3x3 coop. So, here are my questions: Is chicken keeping usually this much work with this many problems?!!! Did I just get a bum flock? Could all of these problems be a result of stress from moving the chickens from one location to another? I keep thinking it's going to get easier, but every week brings new challenges and I am worn out!! Help!!

You've got a few issues going on. First is that it's a new environment for them, which means new microorganisms in the soil to adapt to, hence the outbreak of coccidiosis. And change is a big stressor for them, stressed chickens don't lay. Once they settle in and adjust, production may resume or, depending on the age and the individual, they may not lay again until spring is on the way.
It also helps if you start with a coop that is big enough for everybody. Chickens, being flock animals, tend to do everything together. It is not in their nature to split off at night into different groups. They will all try to pile in to one coop, regardless of whether or not it's big enough. Separating at night is basically creating two flocks that have to be reintroduced every morning. 4 sq ft of coop space is the bare minimum. Some breeds require more than that.

I can't say about getting a bum flock, but I've been in the same boat with feeling overwhelmed and that it's one thing after another. I don't have any advice to give on the other things, but with mites & lice, while you only see them on 2 of the birds you'll want to treat your whole flock to be sure it doesn't spread or reinfest those you've treated & you'll need to clean your coop too. I'm guessing you haven't treated mites before since you say you're new. Here is the link to a thread I had posted on when my birds to mites. There's a lot of great advice from some really knowledgeable people, but feel free to make your own post if you need more info or have more questions as my thread doesn't really deal with lice. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites.1197698/#post-18953063
The most important part is to treat again after 5-7 days, and it's suggested to treat 3 times.
I've read that illnesses can be brought out by stress, so that could be it. For mites and lice it's likely that a wild bird has introduced the parasites to your birds.

Sorry you are feeling overwhelmed! Any new endeavor takes a while to get comfortable with. It's very possible that the stress of moving to a new home is the reason why they are not laying well, also this is when they may be molting, and the lessening hours of daylight can reduce or stop laying also as fall/winter is when they will naturally 'rest' from laying. It can also depend on the actual ages and breeds of chickens, and can just vary chicken to chicken. Coccidiosis is everywhere, that bird could have brought it with them or it could be a new strain on your property that it was exposed to after moving. Likewise the roundworm issue. Same with the lice/mites, hard to say where they picked them up. Stress can leave them open to lots of things. As they settle into their new home, with time, they should do better. Agree with junebuggena about the coop space, 4 sq. feet is a minimum suggestion, and you should judge based on your flock and their behavior. With bullying going on I would expand the space somehow, if the run space is large enough then sometimes the actual inside coop space can be smaller, it just depends on where you are, climate, predator risk, and the individual chickens you have, as to what will work. If you can post pictures of your coop set up it can help you get suggestions on how to remedy space if it's an issue. The biggest reason for bullying is usually not enough space.

You've got a few issues going on. First is that it's a new environment for them, which means new microorganisms in the soil to adapt to, hence the outbreak of coccidiosis. And change is a big stressor for them, stressed chickens don't lay. Once they settle in and adjust, production may resume or, depending on the age and the individual, they may not lay again until spring is on the way.
It also helps if you start with a coop that is big enough for everybody. Chickens, being flock animals, tend to do everything together. It is not in their nature to split off at night into different groups. They will all try to pile in to one coop, regardless of whether or not it's big enough. Separating at night is basically creating two flocks that have to be reintroduced every morning. 4 sq ft of coop space is the bare minimum. Some breeds require more than that.
Thanks for your help. The two were originally separated because of the problems with bullying- a few of the hens were just unrelenting and I was concerned for their safety. They each have separate runs that go alongside each other, so they are just separated by a fence. One of my bullied hens is still so scared and skittish around the others that she will dash inside the coop if the others come near the fence. (It doesn't help that this hen is 75% blind after a hawk attack last year and so she may not be able to see that there is a fence separating them.) They seem to be doing much better after being separated from the rest of the flock, but I still don't let them free range together for fear of the bullying behavior returning.

I can't say about getting a bum flock, but I've been in the same boat with feeling overwhelmed and that it's one thing after another. I don't have any advice to give on the other things, but with mites & lice, while you only see them on 2 of the birds you'll want to treat your whole flock to be sure it doesn't spread or reinfest those you've treated & you'll need to clean your coop too. I'm guessing you haven't treated mites before since you say you're new. Here is the link to a thread I had posted on when my birds to mites. There's a lot of great advice from some really knowledgeable people, but feel free to make your own post if you need more info or have more questions as my thread doesn't really deal with lice. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites.1197698/#post-18953063
The most important part is to treat again after 5-7 days, and it's suggested to treat 3 times.
I've read that illnesses can be brought out by stress, so that could be it. For mites and lice it's likely that a wild bird has introduced the parasites to your birds.
Thanks for your help. I think the lice really put me over the edge. Trying to give my hen a butt bath and having them crawl up my arms and into my hair, it was horrible!!! I've ready that poultry lice and human lice are different bugs, but oh man, just thinking about those creepy crawlies makes me itch. I'll take a look at your mites post, thanks for the info!

Thanks for your help. The two were originally separated because of the problems with bullying- a few of the hens were just unrelenting and I was concerned for their safety. They each have separate runs that go alongside each other, so they are just separated by a fence. One of my bullied hens is still so scared and skittish around the others that she will dash inside the coop if the others come near the fence. (It doesn't help that this hen is 75% blind after a hawk attack last year and so she may not be able to see that there is a fence separating them.) They seem to be doing much better after being separated from the rest of the flock, but I still don't let them free range together for fear of the bullying behavior returning.
Trying to keep 8 hens in a 6x4 coop is probably the source of the bullying, especially if one of the hens is a breed that needs elbow room, like a Barred Rock or Rhode Island Red.

Thanks for your help. I think the lice really put me over the edge. Trying to give my hen a butt bath and having them crawl up my arms and into my hair, it was horrible!!! I've ready that poultry lice and human lice are different bugs, but oh man, just thinking about those creepy crawlies makes me itch. I'll take a look at your mites post, thanks for the info!
:hugs Sorry. Others have covered your questions perfectly so I'll just be mental support. :frow

Sorry you are feeling overwhelmed! Any new endeavor takes a while to get comfortable with. It's very possible that the stress of moving to a new home is the reason why they are not laying well, also this is when they may be molting, and the lessening hours of daylight can reduce or stop laying also as fall/winter is when they will naturally 'rest' from laying. It can also depend on the actual ages and breeds of chickens, and can just vary chicken to chicken. Coccidiosis is everywhere, that bird could have brought it with them or it could be a new strain on your property that it was exposed to after moving. Likewise the roundworm issue. Same with the lice/mites, hard to say where they picked them up. Stress can leave them open to lots of things. As they settle into their new home, with time, they should do better. Agree with junebuggena about the coop space, 4 sq. feet is a minimum suggestion, and you should judge based on your flock and their behavior. With bullying going on I would expand the space somehow, if the run space is large enough then sometimes the actual inside coop space can be smaller, it just depends on where you are, climate, predator risk, and the individual chickens you have, as to what will work. If you can post pictures of your coop set up it can help you get suggestions on how to remedy space if it's an issue. The biggest reason for bullying is usually not enough space.
I do think that the stress on the birds was increased during their first week with us because we did not have enough room in the outdoor space. We had a 1 day notice before the birds arrived and just didn't have time to get a larger outdoor space ready in time, so the first week they only had 4x10 outdoor run for 8 birds- definitely not enough! Now, however, they have a 10x12 outdoor run, and 4x6 indoor coop for 6 birds. 2 birds share a 3x3 coop with a 6x10 run and adjoining 2x10 run that is adjacent to the larger run. I'll try to post a picture to demonstrate. It's been hard to have our first month with them dominated by problems instead of enjoyment! Sure hoping that things turn around.

Also, re: treating for mites and lice: it's important that the coop be thoroughly cleaned and treated, AND that the bedding be removed and destroyed, or completely removed from your property. Mites can live without a host for 10 months, even in freezing temps. Mice and rats, birds, squirrels are also vectors for mites. Yet one more reason to NOT make feed available 24/7. I'm convinced that fermented feed is helpful in this regard b/c the rodents can't carry it off to hoard it in their nests.

I agree with other posters that your coop space may be part of the issue. Flock birds will need to roost together in order to become a cohesive flock. 4 s.f./bird is a bare minimum, and at the first sign of aggression, bullying, or disease, that is the first thing I'd be looking at to improve upon.

Welcome to BYC, and I'm hoping that your issues improve. Did your coop(s) come with the birds? Or were they used? If so, the coops themselves may be the source of your parasites. I'm wondering why you bathed the birds to get rid of the mites/lice instead of using a spray or a powder?

Back
Top Bottom