Did i get the wrong order?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by I_Heart_Chickens, May 12, 2008.

1. I_Heart_Chickens

I_Heart_Chickens New Egg

May 2, 2008
    This is my first time raising chickens and I am absolutely in love with them but I am really confused with what type of birds I have. I order 25 "Heavy Assorted Pullets (Nice assortment of brown egg breeds)" through stromberg's a few months ago. They are all different shades and combinations of black (shines green in sunlight) and a tan-ish/red-ish color. I've done quite a bit of browsing on the internet of different breeds and it looks like these girls are ameraucanas, which are not BROWN egg layers and are also not considered 'heavy', right? I love my birds but I do find it odd considering what I ordered....

Here are some pics and maybe I am wrong in my 'ameraucana' assessment:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    No, they do not look like ameraucanas or easter eggers to me.

Call the hatchery and ask what the assortment usually contains.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Look like sexlinks to me. They lay brown eggs

EE's would have green legs and pea combs, with beards.

4. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Yes, I am going with the sexlinks too. The first hen almost looks like a Black Copper Maran hen, though....

5. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't know what they are but the expression on the face of the one in the second photo is PRICELESS! [​IMG]

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I'm not sure which breed they are--but I'm laughin so hard at that second pic! [​IMG] She looks confused, yet very interested in you at the same time, LOL

7. I_Heart_Chickens

I_Heart_Chickens New Egg

May 2, 2008
    I looked up the sex-link and there are definitely some pics that look quite a lot like my girls. Because they are a mix does that mean they are sterile and I can't hatch their eggs to get new chicks for next year?

and yes, I love that second pic, they are always making me giggle at the expressions they make, I was glad to catch on one camera...

8. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I agree with others that they are sex-links. You will be able to breed them and hatch chicks. Although they are crosses between different breeds of chickens they are not hybrids. Hybrids are crosses between species like a chicken mated to a guinea. Off springs from a cross such as that should be sterile.

9. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    they are really beautiful! please post pics of the eggs once they start laying.
    [​IMG]

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Not sure about the brownish ones but those black ones are Black Australorps. The ones that are black and shine green in the sunlight. I have two of them and love them too pieces.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by