We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Did i get this right? Sexing RIR chicks at 2 weeks.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PunkinPeep, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  2. ella

ella Songster

Slow or fast feathering can be bred into certains strains of certain breeds but it is NOT a foolproof way to sex all chicks.

You have to know where they came from or it's a guessing game.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:It's a fun game though [​IMG]

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I agree that you can't sex different breeds the same way. And i agree that there's probably never a method that's 100% accurate all the time.

I do NOT believe that there's "just no way to tell." If we study and learn about a breed and observe it, we can learn the patterns. And that's what i'm trying to do.

I really appreciate the input.

I am going to use this bunch that i tried to sex at 2 weeks (there are actually 7 of them) and i will see what my accuracy is with this bunch.

I will try to remember to update in about a month when the roos should be having some noticeable developments, whether my initial suspicions are holding.

Haha! It is a fun game!

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Tala, those are GORGEOUS birds!

6. ella

ella Songster

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:HEHEHEHE Thanks!
    I do agree those roosters turned out pretty striking, and Queenie is SO soft!!

However, those poor white Leghorns don't look so great when they get muddy rooster feet on their backs [​IMG]

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    You're so right, Ella. If they're the breeds that can be sexed by color, what a BREEZE! [​IMG] Must be nice to be so sure so easily! I'm afraid i don't have that luxury. [​IMG] Oh well. I love my heavy pure breds (so to speak).

Great link! Thanks!

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I'm going to have to try that hat trick thing! That sounds like fun, if nothing else! [​IMG]

10. irenew

irenew In the Brooder

Jun 26, 2009
    Hi
    I had 6 RIR chicks earlier this year . I read everything on sexing them. Some sites mentioned the darker chicks were the girls(that sort of stripe) 3 of mines had a strip. Others mentioned wings two had fast developing feathers that were uneven. Some mentioned tails another two didn't develop tails till 4 to 5 months

Ok to cut a long story short there was only one rooster in the group. This one grew a comb and wattles I think at 6 weeks. He had a redder tinge to the eye too and red skin round it.

He then rapidly grew a third bigger than the girls.

All the others(lucky for me) were girls.

The one that had the biggest greenest tail(not curved and sicle shaped) was a girl.
    I sent my one roo to a friend at 4-5 mths (he wasn't crowing yet didn't have saddle feathers yet or a rooster tail yet.

So yeah I would go with the head gear for RIR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: