Did I hatch a parrot?

Ooh a bigger cutie!!! I'm worried about trying to integrate this little one into my flock later. It's the only serama I have since the others didn't develop. Even the bantams will be bigger!
I won’t lie, it was tough reintroducing her to the flock, and she was raised with other chicks until she was around 3 weeks old, unlike yours. She was bottom of the pecking order until I eventually added more chicks to the flock, which was around a year later. And she’s a welsummer which is fairly sizeable.

Wait till she's fully feathered. I'd assume seramas would be quite agile, though being frizzled might hender her escape a bit.

Do you have any other birds that are frizzle, similar size or patterned? Chickens can be super racist and they may just pick on her cause she's different too.

If the weather's in your favour, start integration early.

Weather permitting, I try to get my chicks outside for a short jaunt on the grass from 2 weeks old - (in a pen) and then free range the girls as an introduction of sorts - few sessions like this, then a day pen set up in the run - all day if they can handle it.

My current little babies just turned 4 weeks and have been outside for the past 4 days thanks to some wonderfully sunny weather. - they've abandoned the isolation pen to mingle with the big girls (unplanned, the little jailbreakers). There's 6 of them and 3 adult hens, so there's not much animosity. They have free run of the place and are enjoying themselves while being careful not to upset any of the big girls.

Back
Top Bottom