Did i just buy really bad araucana eggs?

The outside and inside of an Araucana. ( the brown egg is Orpington )
26B5F95E-1418-4285-9F55-188BD15BA6BC.jpeg

285585EC-B56C-4977-8961-C1CC847815FF.jpeg

In general, Awesome Araucanas birds are non-standard varieties. His breeding practices are different from traditional folks. His birds are good to get into the breed, not so much if you want to show. You have to start with what you can get or be willing to pay $200 - $500 or more to get started on good stock. Chicks range from $20 +. Adult birds are $100 + not including shipping. Shipping may cost more than the bird itself. In hatching Araucana eggs, if you get 20-30% hatch rate, that is considered good. Good luck.

I bought eggs from https://www.awesomearaucana.com/prices-shipping/
After receiving them they aren't bright blue and one is even green.
I saw on his pictures some had tails.
Are these anywhere near sop?
Or am I just ignorant and need to learn more about araucanas?
View attachment 2503246View attachment 2503247View attachment 2503248

Don't be surprised to see a few blue-greenest eggs. Even the top Araucana breeders may send a few greenest ones. As long as it's not olive. The Araucana breed itself is one of the toughest breed to breed towards SOP. Same with Cream legbars, you may get some genetics that will throw slightly green eggs. If you want blue eggs, stick with Ameraucana breeders (not hatchery EE). Their blues are more consistent and have been breed towards SOP a lot longer by more people, etc = more improvement. The Araucana breed, as long as its been around, still needs tons of work as not enough people stick around to work on the breed due to it's crazy SOP.

The thing is that blue eggs and green eggs are the same, it is olive eggs that cause concern. Araucana eggs can be blue or green but the green will be like a sea foam, it is very light green and you would probably only realize it was green if you held it next to something blue.
Edd only breeds Araucanas. The reference to Araucana type is IMO because he does not breed to SOP.

Welcome to the mixed up world of Araucana. They do have tails ( the SOP says no tails) and they do lay whitish, grayish, greenish and / or blueish eggs. I was also very unpleasantly surprised by the hatching eggs I purchased from a breeder.

Araucana are very challenging. Even if you find a breeder that says he/she breeds to SOP you will get disappointment in egg color and disappointment in chicks. Creates a nice out for the breeders imo- no responsibility. I hatched 4 chicks with tails out of 10 eggs. Two of the other chicks in that hatch had short backs and pooped on themselves. One had a beard muff.... sold to me by someone who breeds to SOP...

Back
Top Bottom