Did I just hear a crow?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by elsathecat, Jun 9, 2010.

1. elsathecat

elsathecat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Below is my 12 week old Rhode Island Red, appropriately named Red. I had no concerns about her femininity but earlier today she made a sound that was unlike one the other girls have made. It didn't sound like a crow exactly but it sounded like maybe that's what she was trying to do. It wasn't the normal clucking noise they make - it was like a more drawn out groan. I should mention it wasn't an unprovoked noise - I had walked into the chickens space and they always make noise when I come around (I wish I could say it is because they like me but I don't think that's the case). Based on teh picture below, do you guys think she is really a she?

[​IMG]

2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Hen, some hens crow every once in a while.

3. sabong

sabong Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    at 12 weeks a rir roo would have long green tail feathers and green neck feathers...but believe it or not i had an evil gold comet that crowed...but it also laid eggs...but what i think you got here is a real she...some chickens just make funny noises sometime...but just give it a lil more time

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Dominant hens sometimes crow fairly effectively, but they are still lay eggs.
    Hope this is the case for you,

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by