Did I just mess up their laying cycle?

robot rooster

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
I have four Barred Rock hens that I purchased back in December. I read about putting a red light in their coop to make up for the lack of sunlight due to winter. Well, I did, and it worked...3 to four eggs daily!

However, last night I left the light on all night.

Did I mess anything up?

One night is not a big deal. We actually keep a red heat lamp on all the time through Dec. and Jan because it is so cold here. We do however make sure to turn off the regular light after 14 hours.

A timer is a good idea, we have tried it but not had great luck as a reliable source because te chickens tend to hit it and make it not work. If you do decide to use one make sure that you get one specifically for outdoors otherwise the cool temps of the coop will keep the timer from working. In the end we only rely on it when we go away for a night or two, otherwise one of us musters the will to go outside in the freezing cold at 9 every evening.

Hope this helps!

I had the same problem with my birds pecking at the timer. I Cut an old rubber tire and nailed the piece of rubber over the timer so it acted like a cover. No problems since.
The light being left on is not a big deal. I raise birds for the hatching eggs and leave a light on (white light) in my chicken houses for up to 18 hours a day. (low level light, about 15 watts) I do not have any problems.

Back
Top Bottom