Did I Just Shrinkwrap a chick?

BuChix

Chirping
Jan 22, 2019
03E619DC-C14A-4CA0-A1D8-60825257E087.jpeg

I may have messed up on dates. I could have sworn today was day 18. These eggs were kept at 45% humidity in an auto turner up until this morning. I did a last candling before sticking them on lockdown and increasing the humidity at 60% when I heard the eggs peeping and one already had a pip!

The darker egg has made the shell break away more over the hours but the membrane hasn’t torn any more and has gone from bright white to yellow. Should I be concerned? The other egg next to it also pipped but 2 hours ago and the membrane is still white.

I’m not afraid to intervene, I’m just worried I’ll mess it up for the other eggs in there if I open the incubator.

Its at 60 now ? It can breath and it has a couple days worth of yolk for it to "feed" on so theres no hurry. It does look a little dry but if the other one isnt drying up I dont see how that one is either. If it dont make any progress in 24 hrs then you can try some coconut oil on the membrane making sure to keep away from the beak if its exposed.

If you feel you have to go in there and do something about it, just do it. You think Momma Hens have a 'lockdown'? Opening it won't harm anything.

It does look a little dry, but I would wait a bit. If there is absolutely no action for several hours, I would open up the incubator as quickly as possible and take it out. Carefully lift back the pieces of shell that are already broken but still attached. If the membrane under there is super dry too, take some coconut oil and gently rub some on the membrane with a Q-tip. Then quickly put it back in the incubator. Do not wrap a wet, warm paper towel around it. Some people do this to keep them wet, and you will see this in some of the forums, but it will quickly cool off and chill both the egg and the chick. Keep us updated!

(P.S.: be extra careful when taking the egg out of the incubator. They get very slippery shells when incubated, and the chick will often squirm around when she feels the movement. I'm not sure my nerves can take me almost-dropping another egg! :rolleyes:)

Thank you guys so much! Looks like the one egg that pipped early found a way to make another large hole. It’s having a hard time zipping, but I’m going to wait until morning. Will update if he made it out!

Attachments

• E6612232-56C6-4A76-AC20-538126AC42BE.jpeg
    E6612232-56C6-4A76-AC20-538126AC42BE.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 26
I'm so glad that hatched healthy! Congratulations! When I have assisted a chick it doesn't end up making it :-( so the next time 1 pipped & chirped strongly I did not assist then 24 hours later it died :-( so IDK to assist or not assist! I was at 99.5 to 100 degrees and 62 to 68% I could see him moving his Beach absorbing his yoke. After he died I took him out and open the shell and everything looked just fine :-( he looked strong enough to zip however I was too nervous to assist.

Crap!!! Another one hatched but still had the yolk attached with all the veins and the other chicks stepped on it !! Now there’s blood everywhere

Attachments

• F33EC825-2A6B-4BEE-B243-4351EA31489B.jpeg
    F33EC825-2A6B-4BEE-B243-4351EA31489B.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom