Did I kill my chick ?

Mrs Wick

Songster
Feb 18, 2019
Europe
At day 21, the chick had cut the shell.
Later there was blood in the egg. I thought the chick died.

Day 22, I see its beak moving. I decided to help. I cut a part of the shell to help him.
The chick didn't move. At midnight I think he was dead.

I have opened the egg to understand why.
There was yolk in a part of the egg , the yolk sac wasn't drawn into the body cavity, it was outside the anus.

Did I kill my chick by opening too much its egg ?
How can a chick break its shell BEFORE the yolk sac is absorbed ?

You should have raised the humidity and give the chick time to hatch by its own. Never ever help a hatching chick. I have killed 1 dove baby that had pipped but not hatched. When i tried to help there was blood all around as he was not ready to hatch. Impatience is no. 1 killer of chicks........
You should give atleast 25-36 hours after pipping....

I would respectfully disagree that you should "never help a chick hatch", I have saved many chicks that would have otherwise succumb without aid. However, I fully agree that you should wait until there is not other choice.

That said, based on your findings- I don't believe you killed the chick. Minor cuts to the shell should not cause any issues so long as the humidity is right or close, especially a day after it pipped. Something wasn't right if there was no yolk absorption at the point it died.

Did you have other chicks in this clutch that hatched, or was this the only egg? If you had others that hatched correctly, then you already have your answer.

I would respectfully disagree that you should "never help a chick hatch", I have saved many chicks that would have otherwise succumb without aid. However, I fully agree that you should wait until there is not other choice.

That said, based on your findings- I don't believe you killed the chick. Minor cuts to the shell should not cause any issues so long as the humidity is right or close, especially a day after it pipped. Something wasn't right if there was no yolk absorption at the point it died.

Did you have other chicks in this clutch that hatched, or was this the only egg? If you had others that hatched correctly, then you already have your answer.
It was a single egg

BTW I am not an expert at hatching eggs. I am still learning more and more about hatching. And soon I will b hatching my own quail eggs. So I am trying to collect as much information as possible before I start incubating..

I saw blood in the egg once the chick broke the shell
I had never seen blood like this when the other chicks broke the shell, and they hatched
that's my question : where did this blood come from ?

Back
Top Bottom