Did I look like a complete weirdo?

Eggs4Sale

Songster
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Okay, I read on hear that a way to tell the sex of a turkey is to whistle. The tom will become defensive and puff up and gobble. The hen will run for cover.

So I got DH out in the yard and told him to whistle at our two turkeys. Well, I guess he hasn't whistled in a while, and it's a 'use it or lose it' kinda thing. He got one of the roosters to cluck, but a yardful of chickens, ducks, and turkeys just looked vaguely interested for a while, then resumed destroying the lawn.

I found a whistle and tried that, which got a lot more clucking from the rooster, but the other birds just sort of tried to slowly exit the scene. I followed the turkeys around, shrieking with the whistle, and they shrugged and sauntered off. I started whistling and clapping my hands. They looked at me and moved a little quicker to get away. I whistled, clapped my hands, and LUNGED at them. They moved quicker. Then I found myself RUNNING around the yard, whistling, and clapping my hands, chasing these two turkeys who were, I swear to God, snickering. After, oh, four times around the yard, I finally gave up.

And they say turkeys are stupid.

Last edited:
lau.gif
gig.gif
I think you could use one of these...
hugs.gif

I think Erma Bombeck hung herself in the laundry room, didn't she?

Thank you, guys, for not outright saying I'm an idiot. If you were my neighbor.....

You know the painting with the farmer and his wife, and he's holding the pitchfork?
That's a still image of my neighbors as they watch me chase the turkeys.

Hahaha you just painted the perfect image in my head of you doing this and with the neighbors. lol this def. lightened my night. And btw e4s, Its ok..... Weve all done something like this... just maybe not to this extreme. LOL.

Least you where not naked.
big_smile.png

That would have caused me some concern.
Acting like a woman who lost her marbles.. ok
doing it naked.. not so good..

But oh so funny...lol

How old are your turkeys? My toms will gobble at anything all day long. When they were younger, it took a little more to get them started, but a whistle would always do the trick. I think they started at
about 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom