Did I make a huge mistake ordering silkies from Ideal?

FenDruadin

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Charlotte, NC Area
I know not to expect show quality, and I don't need show quality. Just cute, cuddly, and good setters. And, as I always do, I did my research--looked like Ideal is a good hatchery, and they were able to send me only the few that I want. But... now I'm reading in the Ideal hatchery thread that although they're a great hatchery, the silkies suck...

Am I going to be sorely disappointed? It may not be too late to cancel my order. They're supposed to ship on Wednesday. Should I cancel and order some place else?

I got some from Ideal. They were white. They weren't too bad. They were cute and fluffy and friendly. They just didn't have huge crests like the SQ birds you'd get from a breeder.

If you're ok with then not have huge crests then you should be ok. It beats paying $100 plus $65 shipping for 6 chicks!

I don't have silkies, but all 8 of my girls came from the hatchery. Not sure which ones, the farm store orders from several. My girls are beautiful, healthy and super friendly.

I did start out giving probios and Polyvisol vitamins without iron their first few months of life. It really does make a difference. My neighbor across the street bought her chicks at the same time from me and from the same place. There was a very big noticeable difference in our chicks. Mine looked 1000 times better then her flock. The neighbor noticed it herself also.

my silkies from Ideal are 2 weeks old right now. you can see some of their pictures under my thread under the forum where people ask about Gender/Breed. They are alright so far but I didn't get the colors I wanted (wanted blue, gray, red and buff... i MIGHT have buff but i got a bunch of white-- it was a silkie assortment where you could get them for $1 each)

Oh, THANK YOU. Cute and fluffy and friendly is really all I need. If I decide to get fancy later, I know better than to order from a hatchery. As long as they aren't hideous (I heard someone say Ideal silkies looked "like buzzards" and that scared me off, lol!).

I'm off to get some new quail and maybe a muscovy girl this afternoon. Thank you guys so much for the feedback, and for the idea to look at your thread in "breeds & genders." Yours are very pretty, and I'll be perfectly happy if mine look like that. Thank you!

I think it depends on the week. I got buffs, blues, blacks and partridge. Not a white one in the group.
A couple of weeks ago I orderd and I got about 5 white ones.
But I just order for pet quality as mine free range and they are just cute.
hugs.gif

A couple of them are pretty small, but I like that myself. I have 2 favorite Mama silkies outside and they are tiny.
jumpy.gif

Update: Just wanted to say I'm very happy with my shipment so far. Obviously, I have no clue how they'll look as adults, but they all have five toes and black skin (although the splashes all have white spots on their skin too), and are very cute and cuddly. One fell asleep on my hand tonight and several others came over and crowded around. SOooo sweet! The feathering on the toes is variable--a couple have almost none, most have a decent amount. I have no idea how much is normal, but they look pretty good to me. I'm happy--good little chickies so far.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom