Did I mess up first time incubating?

SRB-1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 17, 2014
Tonight I candled 42 eggs this is day 8. I pulled 11 eggs out that I thought were infirtile cracked them to be sure and to my surprise 2 had embryo's in them. They all looked like they were infirtle to me no mass or blood veins that I could see. Did I over look somting? The rest of the eggs had mass some had blood veins and others did not that I could see. I forgot to mention the eggs are brown does this make it harder to see viens?

Brown eggs are definitely harder to see the veins and chick! Some will show sooner than others depending on how dark the shell is but if this is your first time incubating don't be too hard on yourself about it. I started my first hatches with brown eggs and was amazed at how much easier and how much more you can see when hatching white eggs.

Tonight I candled 42 eggs this is day 8. I pulled 11 eggs out that I thought were infirtile cracked them to be sure and to my surprise 2 had embryo's in them. They all looked like they were infirtle to me no mass or blood veins that I could see. Did I over look somting? The rest of the eggs had mass some had blood veins and others did not that I could see. I forgot to mention the eggs are brown does this make it harder to see viens?
Those brown eggs are harder to see the inside of them. You may try candling with a flashlight that has stronger light. I use a small flashlight that has 320 Lumens output, it works well with dark eggs.. I would not discard the eggs right away, I would wait a few more days to see if they develop and I can see the embryo's dark mass. If by week two I don't see anything, I then would toss them out.

welcome-byc.gif

I wouldn't say you "messed up". How about you learned a lesson? I would bet that every person who has incubated eggs has learned the same lesson.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. Definitely lesson learned this is not the first mistake I will learn a lesson from and wont be the last LOL

Back
Top Bottom