Did I pick the right chicks?

Pics
too adorable for the bald dog owner!
I love bald dogs! What breed do you have?
We have 2 American Hairless Terrier, 1ea m/f.
Dino on the left, Loki on the right.
20190608_235801.jpg

In regards to your brooder, is building one from wood an option? This one is 4'x4', and I made a simple divider to go cornet to corner in it. It fits from the front left, to back right corner. With the heat lamp in the front left corner, both sides have a warmer and cooler side using just 1 lamp.
20190613_032711.jpg

20190613_032754.jpg

I started brooding guineas in it, then added in the ducklings with the divider. When the guineas could jump and flap over the wall (which was much faster than I expected) I moved them and removed the divider.

I love bald dogs! What breed do you have?
We have 2 American Hairless Terrier, 1ea m/f.
Dino on the left, Loki on the right.
View attachment 1811497

In regards to your brooder, is building one from wood an option? This one is 4'x4', and I made a simple divider to go cornet to corner in it. It fits from the front left, to back right corner. With the heat lamp in the front left corner, both sides have a warmer and cooler side using just 1 lamp.
View attachment 1811498
View attachment 1811499

I started brooding guineas in it, then added in the ducklings with the divider. When the guineas could jump and flap over the wall (which was much faster than I expected) I moved them and removed the divider.

Wow, another baldie lover!! My guy is a Chinese Crested, best dog I’ve ever had, even if he is a little stubborn. I imagine your beautiful guys can top him in that category! I LOVE your wooden brooder and divider! We tried to make a decent divider yesterday from hardware cloth, which has sharp prongs sticking out all along the bottom and edges. I duct taped all sides but it still seems risky. Did you just run boards around all the sides of the wire so that wouldn’t happen? That’s what it looks like but I can be totally wrong. I don’t quite have room to put something as nice as your wood brooder in the house so I bought those brooder kits with the panels that attach together. I was thinking about moving them today since, at three days old, they are already outgrowing their current accommodations! My only concern is the 5 Naked Necks who are smaller, hence why I need a divider. One of them, Nora, just hides under the heating plate all the time and doesn’t drink or eat much that I can see. I’m very afraid for her health and started the raw ACV regimen (which she now hates the water because of). So, now that I’ve got the larger brooder set up and I’m pretty sure everyone will do well together after a while, I don’t know how to integrate her into a group when she is like she is now. I’m wandering if the divider will need to stay up permanently until they move into the coop, but then she would still have to integrate. I’ve grown so attached to these little guys that it’s heartbreaking to think I might lose one.

Attachments

• 8C944E6F-16CD-4084-8793-67DFBB9ABF4D.jpeg
    8C944E6F-16CD-4084-8793-67DFBB9ABF4D.jpeg
    436.2 KB · Views: 3
Hi there again @minaayindra :frow
The Chinese Crested was the first hairless breed I ever saw, and instantly fell in love. The AHT (our baldies) is actually a bald Rat Terrier. About 6 decades ago, a genetic "oops" was discovered, and then bred for.

Loki is my ESA and in a way I'm hers too. I got her at 16 weeks old from a pet groomer. The lady did create training for 4 dogs, but Loki had really bad separation anxiety and would cry/scream till the neighbors complained. At the time we both needed someone to be our best friends. Nobody expected me to come home with roughly 3lbs of a shivering dog. I was actually looking for a Great Dane. Power house breeds have always been my kid of dog. I'm good with them. Loki made my heart melt though, and like me, just needed a friend.
20190613_115903.jpg

Dino was adopted from a couple going through a divorce. They have 2 young boys that are autistic, and Dino was trained as a service animal specializing in spotting and dealing with anxiety. I almost didn't not get him once learning his story. When we met to take him home, the little boys also came. The dad had a talk with them to reiterate what was happening asking "Do you remember what we talked about? Do you understand what is happening? Are you okay with it?" All it would have took was 1 "No" and I was going to back out. It was heart breaking. Sadly, Dino was cort ordered to be sold to recoup some money invested in his training. (the husband was disgruntled with the court, and charged me about 20% of just breeds worth, and gave me his akc reg, nothing was recouped) Happily, Dino's been very awesome, and the 2 baldies are best of friends.
20190608_170316_002.jpg

So the brooder & divider... Yes, I just used 1x2 strips of wood to cover and attach the hardware cloth to the divider.
I don’t quite have room to put something as nice as your wood brooder in the house
Whew, kinda wish I had thought about that lol. At 4x4, reaching the other side can be difficult. (my wife is 5'2", I'm 6') I built it that size though because we ordered 15 ducklings from a hatchery.

so I bought those brooder kits with the panels that attach together.
My only concern is the 5 Naked Necks who are smaller, hence why I need a divider.
Okay... Here's an idea. Do you have a dog crate, or something similar? Maybe take the panel brooder and attach it to a crate with the door facing to the brooder center. Basically opening one side of the brooder, and zip tie it to the corners of a crate. Feel free to lol at my art, but this is what I see in my head (because I'm having trouble with the words). Blue = panel brooder, Yellow = crate/cage, Red = heat lamp.
20190613_213916.jpg

It would extend your size by w/e the crate is, give the naked's a safe place, and still be able to use a single heat lamp (possibly, pending on sq/ft and wattage).

Please take in mind, I'm not familiar with your breeds, or chickens in general. That being said, there's no reason it shouldn't work. Just double check the temps from the light, on both sides, before introducing the birds back. Ya know, measure twice, cut once kind of stuff.

I hope that made some form of sense. ;)

Last edited:
Sorry, was tagged in this post but somehow missed it. Too late for any recommendations as you are well on your way to chickendom.
10513387_10201633564156015_7204610165020314445_n.jpg
Here is a beautiful semi nude rooster for your enjoyment. His offspring have been free ranging themselves into tick eating, near plague like proportions, the ones that were crossed on birds with feathers enough to survive winter, anyway. Nest in the woods, sleep in the trees, no coop, as chickens were intended to live. But, chickens as chickens were intended to live, do not tolerate more than one dominant male per territory, and maybe less.

Hi there again @minaayindra :frow
The Chinese Crested was the first hairless breed I ever saw, and instantly fell in love. The AHT (our baldies) is actually a bald Rat Terrier. About 6 decades ago, a genetic "oops" was discovered, and then bred for.

Loki is my ESA and in a way I'm hers too. I got her at 16 weeks old from a pet groomer. The lady did create training for 4 dogs, but Loki had really bad separation anxiety and would cry/scream till the neighbors complained. At the time we both needed someone to be our best friends. Nobody expected me to come home with roughly 3lbs of a shivering dog. I was actually looking for a Great Dane. Power house breeds have always been my kid of dog. I'm good with them. Loki made my heart melt though, and like me, just needed a friend.
View attachment 1812308

Dino was adopted from a couple going through a divorce. They have 2 young boys that are autistic, and Dino was trained as a service animal specializing in spotting and dealing with anxiety. I almost didn't not get him once learning his story. When we met to take him home, the little boys also came. The dad had a talk with them to reiterate what was happening asking "Do you remember what we talked about? Do you understand what is happening? Are you okay with it?" All it would have took was 1 "No" and I was going to back out. It was heart breaking. Sadly, Dino was cort ordered to be sold to recoup some money invested in his training. (the husband was disgruntled with the court, and charged me about 20% of just breeds worth, and gave me his akc reg, nothing was recouped) Happily, Dino's been very awesome, and the 2 baldies are best of friends.
View attachment 1812337

So the brooder & divider... Yes, I just used 1x2 strips of wood to cover and attach the hardware cloth to the divider.

Whew, kinda wish I had thought about that lol. At 4x4, reaching the other side can be difficult. (my wife is 5'2", I'm 6') I built it that size though because we ordered 15 ducklings from a hatchery.

Okay... Here's an idea. Do you have a dog crate, or something similar? Maybe take the panel brooder and attach it to a crate with the door facing to the brooder center. Basically opening one side of the brooder, and zip tie it to the corners of a crate. Feel free to lol at my art, but this is what I see in my head (because I'm having trouble with the words). Blue = panel brooder, Yellow = crate/cage, Red = heat lamp.
View attachment 1812362

It would extend your size by w/e the crate is, give the naked's a safe place, and still be able to use a single heat lamp (possibly, pending on sq/ft and wattage).

Please take in mind, I'm not familiar with your breeds, or chickens in general. That being said, there's no reason it shouldn't work. Just double check the temps from the light, on both sides, before introducing the birds back. Ya know, measure twice, cut once kind of stuff.

I hope that made some form of sense. ;)
I put an additional partition, similar to the ones you make and blocked off my sick chick behind it. The smaller chicks are then put in another section and the larger, more assertive group have half the brooder. I’ve tried so hard but it’s looking like my sick girl might not make it, even after seeing the vet. It really hurts and makes me question whether I should have chicks at all. I spent most of my life in animal rescue and finally had to stop 2 years ago because it was becoming an increasing emotional drain whenever something bad happened. It may not be the “right” reaction, as others have told me, particularly when it comes to “livestock”, but no animal is lesser to me. Enough moaning- thanks for all your help, we duplicated everything you said except for adding a dog crate and we had to use the prefab partitions but based it on what you made. It’s a lovely set up and everyone, except poor Nora, is loving it.

Thank you SO much for all your help. My tiny Nora lost her battle about an hour ago, while I was holding her. You were a Godsend and I love learning so much from you (plus seeing your 2 beautiful nekkid's!).
Sorry, was tagged in this post but somehow missed it. Too late for any recommendations as you are well on your way to chickendom.View attachment 1812461 Here is a beautiful semi nude rooster for your enjoyment. His offspring have been free ranging themselves into tick eating, near plague like proportions, the ones that were crossed on birds with feathers enough to survive winter, anyway. Nest in the woods, sleep in the trees, no coop, as chickens were intended to live. But, chickens as chickens were intended to live, do not tolerate more than one dominant male per territory, and maybe less.

Sorry, was tagged in this post but somehow missed it. Too late for any recommendations as you are well on your way to chickendom.View attachment 1812461 Here is a beautiful semi nude rooster for your enjoyment. His offspring have been free ranging themselves into tick eating, near plague like proportions, the ones that were crossed on birds with feathers enough to survive winter, anyway. Nest in the woods, sleep in the trees, no coop, as chickens were intended to live. But, chickens as chickens were intended to live, do not tolerate more than one dominant male per territory, and maybe less.
He is beautiful- thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom