Did my chicken hack up her crop?

Everose

🐍Danger Noodle Mom🐍
Premium Feather Member
Jan 16, 2021
The Great Country of Texas
So on my way to milk the goats this morning I found what I think is a crop. It was just laying there on the ground, a few chickens tried to peck it, and it has what looks like partially digested grass in it, also there's a fly. I don't know for sure that it's a crop because when we butcher meat birds their crops are always empty and this little bag is full. There aren't any dead chickens, we haven't culled any (no cats were able to pull parts out of the trash) and from what I can see nobody is missing. I'll do a head count tonight when they're roosting. Nobody is acting sick either.

Can a chicken lose their crop? Is this for sure a crop? And will a chicken be okay without it?

Here's pics
243.jpeg
241.jpeg

A chicken can't 'hack up' its crop. To me that looks like the stomach of a rabbit that was killed by a raptor.
And yet no fur? My rabbits aren't in the habit of eating flies either. I guess it's possible but don't aerial predators eat their prey in trees or on site?

Now that I think about it...my cat Izzy eats rabbits whole. We have two bigger all outdoor cats as well, so maybe one of them got a bigger bunny and tore it up. But I keep coming back to the fact that there wasn't any fur (which there would be, I've had dogs and cats eat rabbits in the past) and any bunny that they would've eaten would be huge, male rabbits go sterile in hot temps and we've been pretty warm here so there wouldn't be very many juveniles that one of our cats could've eaten. Predators that eat rabbits eat them whole for the most part, (might leave behind some bones) but there's only the stomach left (if that's what it is). Why would an animal eat everything but the stomach?

And yet no fur? My rabbits aren't in the habit of eating flies either. I guess it's possible but don't aerial predators eat their prey in trees or on site?
GHO will eviscerate a rabbit, eat some and then fly off with the remains. Scavengers come along and clean up what is left, but nothing eats the stomach.

GHO will eviscerate a rabbit, eat some and then fly off with the remains. Scavengers come along and clean up what is left, but nothing eats the stomach.
My beautiful little Izzy eats the stomach 😂
IMG_20200601_092817650~2.jpg
she's on the left. The teenager bunny I watched her eat was almost as big as tippy her daughter (on the right)

Well I feel good knowing that it probably wasn't a piece of chicken. Thanks 😊

Back
Top Bottom