Did my feed go rancid?

Ah. I put on a dust mask and went in for further inspection. Looks like we've just been breeding an army of mites, or something like mites. When I first started looking for answers I read about mites, but all the reports mentioned a white powder that smelled minty. This is quite obviously brown and there's nothing minty about it. It's one of the worst smells I've ever smelled. But this "dust" is quite clearly moving and provides me with enough of an answer - to the dumpster the feed goes!

Notes for the future: disinfect storage bins, buy in smaller quantity, do not store for nearly as long as we had been, and cold storage if possible

Thanks again for all the responses and insight to how I can do better with storing my feed

Yup, sounds like feed mites from your description. That was my problem too, they're pretty harmless but not nice anyway. I would think refrigeration would work, as with freezing you need to be careful with condensation cause it will lead to mold. I leave the zip lock open in the garage, wiping the bag of condensation through the day. By morning the bag is dry & the feed is room temp.

Disinfecting got nothing to do with the feed mites, it's in the feed from where ever (I'm told) with weather conditions the eggs hatch and they go to town on the feed. The "trick" is to buy as you need & maybe cold storage.

Here (HI) we have to deal with shipping ... Feed travels from the manufacturer to the west coast, then shipped to the Islands which takes sometime longer than a month. So getting "fresh" feed like you all can is a dream, ours is dated by the time we get it. No feed mills here :(

Back
Top Bottom