Did my hen lay a tumor?!

I don't know what causes "lash" and I haven't dealt (yet) with prolapse. I hope your hen recovers--mine did!

For months she would daily she visit the nest box to lay an egg and would even sound off the egg song after a while, but never an egg was laid...until today. I found a small egg where she had been laying.

She's back being her feisty self. I suspect it is a genetic problem and so she might have problems down the line again but for today she's good and we're all happy.

These hens are bred to produce eggs which often results in reproductive weakness/problems.

Sure hope it works out for you and you hen.

My little red hen continues to lay "lashes" instead of eggs. She looks healthy, eats, drinks, and daily goes into the nest box to lay an egg - but never does. Instead, she lays a gross tumor thingy about every month. Wish I knew why.

I have also found one of these horrible masses outside the chicken coup. One of the hens has been unable to lay for about 6 months and a few days later was dead so suspect it was her who passed the mass. I disected it and it was really strange. A mixture of what looked like cooked pork and maybe tofu!! No blood or anything that that looked raw. I am grateful to have found the article above and hope that the rest of the hens are not prone to it?

Back
Top Bottom