Did my hen run away?

Roo Boy

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013
Ohio
We had two leghorn hens wonder into our flock after someone dumped several chickens down the road from our home. We fed them and tried to capture as many as we could, but many were too wild to catch. After a month without any food from us, several of them wondered into our yard and joined our already established flock. This was back in October. Everyone got a long fairly well except for the two leghorns that joined the flock. There was one that always getting picked on. Sometimes she would getting beat up pretty bad. This behavior was on and off ever since their arrival. Well, two weeks ago she jus disappeared without a trace. With one leghorn gone, the other started to get harassed very bad by the rooster and some of the hens. The roo would grab her by the comb/neck and peck very hard. He would not mate her, just beat her. This started to get very bad the since the other leghorn disappeared. Well, today after letting them out to free range, she ran into the woods and did not come back tonight to roost in the coop. I wonder if she just said 'enough is enough.' Do you think my leghorns just flew the coop to avoid an abusive flock?

We had two leghorn hens wonder into our flock after someone dumped several chickens down the road from our home. We fed them and tried to capture as many as we could, but many were too wild to catch. After a month without any food from us, several of them wondered into our yard and joined our already established flock. This was back in October. Everyone got a long fairly well except for the two leghorns that joined the flock. There was one that always getting picked on. Sometimes she would getting beat up pretty bad. This behavior was on and off ever since their arrival. Well, two weeks ago she jus disappeared without a trace. With one leghorn gone, the other started to get harassed very bad by the rooster and some of the hens. The roo would grab her by the comb/neck and peck very hard. He would not mate her, just beat her. This started to get very bad the since the other leghorn disappeared. Well, today after letting them out to free range, she ran into the woods and did not come back tonight to roost in the coop. I wonder if she just said 'enough is enough.' Do you think my leghorns just flew the coop to avoid an abusive flock?
Either they found a better place to live.....or they got eaten by a predator.

Back
Top Bottom