Did she lay an egg

Pics

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
Ok so yesterday I heard my chicken go “bawk bawk BAWWWK” for the first time in the evening then she did it again the next morning. It’s been a day and she hasn’t done it again. Apparently they do that noice when they lay an egg. She’s 16ish weeks old so is it possible she layed one?

It is possible that she laid an egg, but it's pretty common for pullets to make that noise days or even weeks before they start laying (as if they are practicing, to be sure they can do it right when they do finally lay an egg.)
Ok she did it again but it was a couple loud raspy screams. I ran outside cause I thought she was getting eaten but she was just standing there and I didn’t see anything near that could’ve scared her.

Ok she did it again but it was a couple loud raspy screams. I ran outside cause I thought she was getting eaten but she was just standing there and I didn’t see anything near that could’ve scared her.
Pullets can get very noisy when they get close to laying age.
Sometimes they quiet down a bit after they start laying, and sometimes not.

Ok so yesterday I heard my chicken go “bawk bawk BAWWWK” for the first time in the evening then she did it again the next morning. It’s been a day and she hasn’t done it again. Apparently they do that noice when they lay an egg. She’s 16ish weeks old so is it possible she layed one?
Check the nesting box? Their combs and waffles get very red and they do a chicken dance when you pet them. 16 weeks is young, she may just be practicing!

One of my pullets recently did the "egg song" and about a week later she layed her first egg. Now my hens will do the "egg song" when they are scared as well. If yours wasn't frightened then she is probably practicing and will lay and egg in the next couple of weeks. What breed is she? 16 weeks is young, but hybrids can lay earlier.

One of my pullets recently did the "egg song" and about a week later she layed her first egg. Now my hens will do the "egg song" when they are scared as well. If yours wasn't frightened then she is probably practicing and will lay and egg in the next couple of weeks. What breed is she? 16 weeks is young, but hybrids can lay earlier.
Im not sure on her breed since we found her in the woods but I’ve been told she looks like a production.
F1D5336D-D708-42CC-808D-72AAAB3087F2.jpeg
AA397EF7-5196-4AE2-9DDA-1B7492D3C567.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom