Did some winterizing on my coop and run. What do you think?

Mouthwash

Chirping
May 20, 2023
Chicago IL
Definitely will keep some wind and snow out. I'm in the Chicago area and am worried about my girls for their first winter. Is this enough or should I cover more? I know they need ventilation but hopefully it's not too much.

Attachments

• 20231118_120959.jpg
    20231118_120959.jpg
    691.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 20231118_121006.jpg
    20231118_121006.jpg
    706.6 KB · Views: 33
That looks like a professional job! Nice! I presume that's their run and their coop is inside? If so, I think it's great and I'm right above you in Wisconsin. That should let them be able to be outside much of the winter too.

That looks like a professional job! Nice! I presume that's their run and their coop is inside? If so, I think it's great and I'm right above you in Wisconsin. That should let them be able to be outside much of the winter too.
It is. I have the producers pride sentinal coop inside. The coop is very small so I'm hoping they have more than enough coverage to come outside because it's so small!

Definitely will keep some wind and snow out. I'm in the Chicago area and am worried about my girls for their first winter. Is this enough or should I cover more? I know they need ventilation but hopefully it's not too much.
Add a ton more leaves in there too! Keeps them moving by scratching. Is the roof chain link? Keep your eyes on it all, we're headin' into the danger zone with the winter and your zone gets wicked in the winter. Good luck. The rule of thumb i think is to keep them from getting direct Cold winds blowing on them. Im in zone 6a and we're ready! If its too windy, or stormy, i'll add more greenhouse tarp. Good luck! 🐓❤️
IMG_6766.jpeg

I'm brand-new to the coop building world. I live in SW Michigan so pretty similar weather over here. What kind of tarps would you recommend for good insulation? I was curious if clear vinyl like these would be a good option? I'd love your feedback! Thanks :)

Hard to say, might depend on the wind directions.

Hopefully that tarp roof will hold up to snow load...
..and that the tiny coop has good ventilation.
It's a tarp on top of 1/2 inch wire mesh. Also the old model of that coop has no ventilation but the newer one has a vent on both sides and that's the one I have.

I'm brand-new to the coop building world. I live in SW Michigan so pretty similar weather over here. What kind of tarps would you recommend for good insulation? I was curious if clear vinyl like these would be a good option? I'd love your feedback! Thanks :)
I went to home depot and got a roll of 4mil plastic sheet and used 2 layers of that.

It's a tarp on top of 1/2 inch wire mesh. Also the old model of that coop has no ventilation but the newer one has a vent on both sides and that's the one I have.
My concern is that it appears that there's no roof framing/support between front and back.
Keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom