Did they kill it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Iceblink, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Iceblink

Iceblink Songster

Out of my 6 eggs set, all 6 pipped. Yeah! But the last one was pretty slow and the other chicks rolled it around quite a bit, and it ended up pip side down. Now there is a clear yellow ooze coming from the pip. It has been a day and a half since the last one hatched, and there hasn't been any progress.

My question is - did the other chicks rolling it around kill it or could it have died for some other reason?

If the rolling did kill it, what should I do different next time? Leave all the eggs in an egg carton? Take the hatched chicks out sooner? I left them in for 12+ hours because I didn't want to mess with the humidity.

And what is that goo? If it were unabsorbed yolk it wouldn't be clear, right?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  2. marytoast

marytoast Songster

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    I'd like the answer to your question too. It seems the last chicks have more problems. Is it because the hatched chicks play soccer with the eggs? [​IMG]

3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Crowing

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    ...or is pipping last a sign of a weaker egg/embryo?

4. Iceblink

Iceblink Songster

Well, on day 18 when I last candled, it did seem a little less developed than the other embryos, I attributed it to being on the top of the row when turning, maybe it was a little cooler up there?

But it did have a nice strong pip going, and then nothing.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: