Did this really happen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kitten4686, Oct 2, 2016.

1. kitten4686

kitten4686 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG]
    This is part of my set up...been working in coop changing some things around...i noticed my ducks like hidey holes to lay in so im making some more,but at the time they have none...other than inside cage area where my broody buff is...so today when i went in search of eggs i found 3 duck eggs and 1 chicken egg on the floor beside buffs box....BUT the weird thing is....I found a duck egg in one of my chicken nesting boxes! Can this really happen? I know the ducks can fly or even walk up the plank....but have never seen them do it....but how else did a duck egg get up there?
    i keep my ducks and chickens together...

2. arrowti

arrowti Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Maine
    Ours ducks will fly up to the most comfortable nests, although never venture into the chicken coops. They prefer laying their eggs behind a pile of hay with a nest of hay they made than lay them in their own house. I believe anything is possible when it comes to laying eggs. :)

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

A guy I know was Letting his Duck hen hatch out her eggs a month ago...He never looked in the nest and to his amazement a Chicken Chick was also in the mix....So I believe anything is possible....

Cheers!

4. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    My ducks house is raised off the ground, and the stream they have access to is a canal wall (4ft drop) ducks can definitely use ramps and jump high.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by