Did you ever buy a prefab coop? Give a review!

What happened with your prefab coop?

• I bought a prefab and I am sorry I did.

Votes: 22 24.4%
  • I use the prefab now for broodies or sick bay.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I made changes to the prefab I bought.

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • My prefab is just fine for me and my chickens.

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • I never bought a prefab.

Votes: 31 34.4%

• Total voters
I bought one but there is no vote option for me.

I bought a small pre-fab strictly as a brooder from the beginning.

Pre-fabs are good for brooder-flock integration or quarantine/isolation. They are pretty much junk for anything else.
Writing a review has nothing to do with voting. Most people only know one or maybe two types of prefab coops.

You just fill in the form, give a description, pro’s and cons. This way future buyers who check the review, know what to expect if they actually buy the coop.

I got mine used for cheap or nothing, and modified them hugely for broody or sick bay. I have two, but the one is toast since it got whacked with some farm equipment lol luckily no chickens inside

Writing a review has nothing to do with voting. Most people only know one or maybe two types of prefab coops.

You just fill in the form, give a description, pro’s and cons. This way future buyers who check the review, know what to expect if they actually buy the coop.
there are no vote options that apply to my reason for buying a prefab. Close but not accurate.

Mine works just fine for me. Two of mine are bantams and they like the nest box to nestle in at night. Even when they were the only two hens, that was their preference. I then got two Golden Comets. They roost on the bars which makes plenty of space for everyone in the roost. The “run” is small. But mine are allowed free time in the yard when someone is home. Plus I got an extra run space that I use when we’re all at work. It’s easily twice the run space by itself of what the coop includes.

Attachments

• IMG_4787.jpeg
    IMG_4787.jpeg
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4789.jpeg
    IMG_4789.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4788.jpeg
    IMG_4788.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4793.jpeg
    IMG_4793.jpeg
    987.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4551.jpeg
    IMG_4551.jpeg
    571.7 KB · Views: 10
The prefab I bought was more an open air pen. Added wood frame around the bottom to attach hardware cloth to for extra predator protection and will be adding either a tarp or building a covered roost and nesting boxes. I'll post a link in an edit.

Picture of it instead of Amazon link.
View attachment 3421405
I looked at those....how secure is the area around the door??

I have an Over EZ coop and even though it seems to be made with quality materials, I still had to add quite a bit of ventilation and modify roost bar placement. Over EZ is also guilty of fibbing on the numbers, as far as how many chickens it houses. I have the "large", which is 24 sq.ft, and they advertise it to fits up to 15 (my 8 pullets are fairly crowded in it at bedtime as it is)! Granted, as far as "prefabs" go, Over EZ is one of the better ones, but for as much as we spent ($2100), we could have bought a brand new shed, 3 times the size, and made modifications to that (I wish I had joined BYC BEFORE I ordered my coop, lol). It seems impossible to find an affordable prefab option that meets all of the "standard recommendations".

My husband is semi-handy and I'm completely useless as far as being able to build anything from scratch, which is why a pre-fab seemed like the way to go. However, thru this site and the knowledge/experience of so many others, I have learned that there are so MANY ways to offer appropriate housing for chickens (hoop coops being one of my faves)!

In the spring I'm planning to get more chicks, and thus, will be upgrading to a custom built 10x12 coop (I can't wait!), and I'll likely be building a "hoop coop" run extention. I'll be keeping the Over EZ for brooding chicks (which it should be perfect for)!

Here's my OverEZ (with modifications):
View attachment 3613784View attachment 3613785View attachment 3613786
I wanted their Extra Large coop until I noticed the man door was so small....there's no way I can get my 6'3" 280 lbs into a 2ft x 5 ft door. That's why I'll get a 10x16 shed and modify it with roosts and nesting boxes according to what I've learned on this site.

Back
Top Bottom