Did you know 1/3 of chicken breeds are in danger of becoming extinct?

I was in shock that Orpingtons are on the list as it is my favorite breed. They are good layers and very sweet birds. Thanks for the link very informative.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the reminder, I meant to get a copy today and forgot it. I have just put a reminder on my phone and will pick one up tomorrow a.m.

Quote:
I agree Jesse...... only about 1/3 of the breeds LISTED were endangered!! Maybe it is a count based off of worldwide show entries. ARBA counts breeds as endangered based off of the Convention #'s year to yr......

The only one I would question is the Black Silkie but the rest are on the ALBC Conservation Priority List http://albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html#chickens

It
is amazing but sad, some of our poultry is nearly extinct. Like Javas especially the Mottled Javas and particularly the Auburn Java. And there are only a few breeders in the USA who raise Barred Hollands, another very old breed. Yes it is very scary about the Orps, who would have thought. Or the Barnevelders. These are all wonderful breeds (we carry them all for anyone who is interested in raising them).
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom