Did you know 1/3 of chicken breeds are in danger of becoming extinct?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by VioletBlueIvy, Jun 29, 2011.

1. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
  2. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I was in shock that Orpingtons are on the list as it is my favorite breed. They are good layers and very sweet birds. Thanks for the link very informative.[​IMG]

3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    that list dosent look every true some those breed are very popular

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Thanks for the reminder, I meant to get a copy today and forgot it. I have just put a reminder on my phone and will pick one up tomorrow a.m.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

That is so sad. [​IMG] Maybe because they keep producing Hybrids? [​IMG]

6. eeyore75

eeyore75 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Battle Creek, MI
    Quote:I agree Jesse...... only about 1/3 of the breeds LISTED were endangered!! Maybe it is a count based off of worldwide show entries. ARBA counts breeds as endangered based off of the Convention #'s year to yr......

7. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    The only one I would question is the Black Silkie but the rest are on the ALBC Conservation Priority List http://albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html#chickens

It
    is amazing but sad, some of our poultry is nearly extinct. Like Javas especially the Mottled Javas and particularly the Auburn Java. And there are only a few breeders in the USA who raise Barred Hollands, another very old breed. Yes it is very scary about the Orps, who would have thought. Or the Barnevelders. These are all wonderful breeds (we carry them all for anyone who is interested in raising them). [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by