Did you know Runners can climb? :P

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MysticalMom, Jan 17, 2011.

1. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    We just got our 6 month old Runners on Saturday. We have them in a "newbie" pen that's right out where the other ducks can mingle with them, but not get to them and bully them, yet.

Yesterday we opened the "house" door in the morning and let them go out into their temporary pen area. Well it was obvious they REALLY wanted to be out with the rest of the flock, but I wouldn't let them. I didn't want them picked on yet. Well they had OTHER ideas. The fence around the temporary pen is about 3 feet high. They stayed in it for a few minutes quacking their heads off at the other ducks and then the drake CLIMBED up and over first the fence and the 3 hens followed. THEY CLIMBED OUT!!!!!!

I couldn't believe it. We've had many ducks in that newbie pen and I have never had one, not even muscovy, climb over the fence. It went pretty well. The runner drake had to prove he was a drake, I guess, and he did all the picking. He got his butt kicked a couple of times, especially when he tried to pick on a female muscovy, but mostly they just followed behind the rest of the flock looking a little, well, pathetic. They were with Pekins at their old home, and seemed to want to get close to my pekins, but while the pekins didn't pick on them, they basically just ignored them.

When it was time to go to bed, and the other ducks headed for their home, the runners followed and went right into their newbie house. They are in the newbie pen again today and I'm sitting by the window watching them and they don't look interested in climbing over. I guess we'll wait and see.

Did you know Runners could climb like that? I sure didn't and it was too funny!!!

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I had the same kind of thing happen when I brought home a new drake last year. I had his own pen set up- but as soon as he came out of the travel crate- he was trying to get over the fence to the others. once over- there was no scrapping at all- he just merged into the flock like he had always been there. My Pekin Harvey on the other hand.... He just gets over to get at the girls. I had to make the fence around his pen higher to keep him in with Crumpet and Monty where he belongs.

3. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    It must be that social instinct, because when we got our new Saxony hen it was the same way. She was not a fan of quarantine and no matter what I couldn't keep her in the temp. pen. She lept over it, found a gap and slid through, and then later TORE the fence to wiggle out. I gave up.

I guess they REALLY want to be with the flock!

4. foxhomechickens

foxhomechickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    I have seen runners climb up chicken wire several times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by