Did you know that Cochin....

Makes sense. That's probably what the breed was named after. After all, they are an Asian breed
wink.png

The Cochin Chicken was originally known as the 'Chinese Shanghai Fowl' because they originated in the Shanghai area of China. The name changed later to 'Cochin China' and then finally shortened to just 'Cochin'.

Cochinchina (one word I believe) combined with southern Annam in 1954 to create South Vietnam.
- "Cochin" derives from the Malay which referred to all of Vietnam.

Chris

When our one idiot neighbor saw our cochin, he asked what it was. I told him it was a cochin and explained that it was a Vietnamese meat breed.

"Oh," he said, trying to show off, "so that's a g@@k chicken. I oughta shoot him." (ethnic slur edited to not offend anyone)

He's no longer welcome over here. Our rooster is far more useful and intelligent than he is.

Now Brahmas did come from India though. The Brahmaputra River is one of the main rivers in northern India and if memory serves me right the chickens of that name came from that region.
Langshans also came from the Asian region(China, India, South East Asia) but I dont know why they have the name "Langshan". I know the story of the Major Croad and how they were originally called Croad Langshans and that they are still called by that name in England.

Back
Top Bottom