Did you paint the inside of your coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Autumn Mama, May 13, 2009.

1. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    Did you paint the inside of your coop?

If so, what was your purpose, easier cleaning? Just aesthetic value for yourself?

Will a particular type of paint help with cleaning poop off of walls? We have a 4 x 8 coop, well on its' way to completion, so DH said, if we want to paint, now's the time!

Your thoughts or experiences? Thanks!!!

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I didn't paint the outside either. Mine is covered in metal. I wouldn't paint the inside because they are just going to poop on most of it anyway.

3. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Yep, for whatever good it did - those walls are gross now behind the roost!

4. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I painted mine just in case I ever need to disinfect the coop -- figured it'd be easier to do that with a painted surface than bare wood.

5. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    Yes, our outside will be unpainted, just the rustic cedar board and batten look, which we love, and it matches the outbuildings currently on the farm.

I imagined that painting the inside might make cleaning easier. I have vinyl down on the flooor, and if paint helps the poop to slide right off the wall, then I'm in, LOL!!

We also live in the (sometimes) gloomy greyness of the PNW, and I wondered if the paint color choice might brighten up the interior and perhaps even help the chooks to lay better through the winter. I don't think i'll go too crazy with paint color combos and high aesthetics (we really don't have the time, and since it's not a large walk-in style coop, I won't really be in there much, except for cleaning a few times a year.)

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  6. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    I painted my floor and intent to paint the walls as well.

FLOOR: I painted it to waterproof it and help to protect the OSB. Also aids in easy easy cleanup. Paint used was gloss gray oil based porch paint made by Valspar. I chose gray to match the poo. [​IMG]

WALLS: I'll be using a semi gloss exterior grade paint. Oil based if it can be had, else latex.

It really makes cleanup easier for sure, plus also makes the coop brighter which in theory increases egg production in the winter months.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The inside of my tractor is painted cuz it is way easier to get dried-on poo off semigloss painted surfaces than off naked raw plywood. I like to think the paint also seals it a bit to provide mites less hiding spots, although I have no absolute proof that's the case.

Pat

8. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I'm going to paint the inside of my coop- egg yolk yellow to be precise! When I get my hens I'm hoping this puts them "in the mood". [​IMG] No really, I'm just doing it because I heard it's easier to clean than bare wood and also because if I have to be up there everyday, I want someting nice to look at.

Best of luck! [​IMG]

9. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Yep, semi-gloss white. needed to help water proof the OSB. 1 coat primer and 1 coat semi-gloss. I hate to paint though...

10. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I'm going to be putting down rolled vinyl flooring in my hen house but I will be painting the walls as well.

I choose a buttercream color because it will reflect the light better during our grey winters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by