Didn't Anticipate This

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
The on/off button on the fence charger is frozen.

It got down to 18F -- nothing for a lot of people, but possibly one of the coldest nights of the winter here. It had rained heavily up until yesterday morning and apparently there is water in the well where the button sits.

I couldn't turn the charger off this morning to get in and let the birds out of the coop and bring them their water. DH will try again after the sun's been up for a bit and, if it won't budge then, he'll put on his rubber boots and gloves and go in anyway.

I didn't anticipate this happening and am not sure how to prevent it in the future. Any kind of shelter for the charger is likely to interfere with the solar panel.

It got down to 18F -- nothing for a lot of people, but possibly one of the coldest nights of the winter here. It had rained heavily up until yesterday morning and apparently there is water in the well where the button sits.

I couldn't turn the charger off this morning to get in and let the birds out of the coop and bring them their water. DH will try again after the sun's been up for a bit and, if it won't budge then, he'll put on his rubber boots and gloves and go in anyway.

I didn't anticipate this happening and am not sure how to prevent it in the future. Any kind of shelter for the charger is likely to interfere with the solar panel.
Can you get an extension cord out there? If so use a hair dryer to thaw the switch.
Can you post pictures?
I built a little shelter for my charger. It is mounted to the wall of my old coop and has a slanted roof over it, a door in the front and no bottom so the lead wires can come out and go do the ground rods and fence. I'm A/C plug in though but I wired up the feed to the receptacle that the charger is plugged into to a switch and all that's enclosed in a weather proof electrical box and cover. To turn off the charger I just open the cover and flip a switch.

That is odd. The on/off switch for our solar charger is on the bottom of the unit. I guess yours is on top?

Can you get an extension cord out there? If so use a hair dryer to thaw the switch.
Can you post pictures?
I built a little shelter for my charger. It is mounted to the wall of my old coop and has a slanted roof over it, a door in the front and no bottom so the lead wires can come out and go do the ground rods and fence. I'm A/C plug in though but I wired up the feed to the receptacle that the charger is plugged into to a switch and all that's enclosed in a weather proof electrical box and cover. To turn off the charger I just open the cover and flip a switch.

I'm at work. DH resolved it somehow -- at least enough to be able to let the ladies out of their coop, give them water, and collect eggs. I'm surprised it even *can* freeze that way. But we did have torrential rain blowing in all directions on Christmas Eve.

I can't post photos, but I can post a link: https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/intellishock-60-solar-fence-energizer

That is odd. The on/off switch for our solar charger is on the bottom of the unit. I guess yours is on top?

The on-off is on the back of the unit.

It certainly was a cold morning - I think we live near each other! I’m just a little north of the Sandhills.

I'm in Moore County.

In that case, you might be able to protect the back of the unit without impeding its ability to charge.

It's a portable unit meant to be moved along with the netting. I might be able to tape a piece of plastic to it as an awning, but can't build a shelter for it because that would defeat it's purpose.

Frozen again this morning.

I didn't have this problem until we had torrential rain with intense wind on Christmas Eve so I suspect that's when the water got in.

I needed to bring it in for a plug-in charge tonight so I'll make sure to park it in front of a heat vent in order to dry it out as best I can. Then, once I'm sure it's completely dry, I'll cut a piece of plastic and duct-tape it on as a rain-shield flap.

It's a portable unit meant to be moved along with the netting. I might be able to tape a piece of plastic to it as an awning, but can't build a shelter for it because that would defeat it's purpose.
For a mobile fence charger...

I used 1 small upside-down bucket, put fence charger on top...

Put larger upside-down bucket over top.

For lots of wind, stick one of the mobile fence stakes through the bucket handles.

I would also duct tape the extension plugs together.

Back
Top Bottom